Default Almost Caught Stealing, and They Got My License Plate

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Michigan

I have gotten items from this store many times before, for a long time. There are no surveillance cameras as far as I could see, just security tags. I always had a stroller with me, and items were put in a bag in the stroller in the changing room. I am sure I have looked suspicious b4. Though nobody saw me. currently, someone did see me, place some small items in a bag though I did not zip it up, I also had nowhere else to put the items since I had a stroller.
    A employee saw me went and looked around for someone. Should have been my first clue, but....I went on "shopping" put items in bags in changing room.
    Left, nobody said anything to me, nor stopped me. Guy came out and took down my digits on car.
    In a panic (in case I got stopped on the way home, with my kids in the car) I dumped the items not far from the store. there is a lot with a large sum I am sure. The place where they were dumped may or may not have security cameras. My question is more so for now, should I A) go and retrieve items, bring them back to store. (or have I just turned myself in should they decide not to drop charges, and to that end they don't know** how much I took outside of the small items that went in the bag, which I could have left at the store... or so I think)
    B) leave the dumped items and wait for them to be found or not...though I am sure they would be.
    C) get items, and then get rid of them properly so as not in my possession.
    Now, if I do go back, I will have to use my same car, and what if they find me with the items in my car. This has all conspired in the last day.
    The worst part is, I have several small children and this would be extremely hard for my family. I also nurse my youngest baby would there be any special regard for that? as I understand it, the authorities have a year to come. I have not eaten since the incident, and am really being eaten up by it and the consequences, your input is appreciated.

Default Re: They Got License Plate

The worst part is, I have several small children and this would be extremely hard for my family. I also nurse my youngest baby would there be any special regard for that? as I understand it, the authorities have a year to come. I have not eaten since the incident, and am really being eaten up by it and the consequences, your input is appreciated

If this bothered you so much, you wouldn't be shoplifting with regularity. to the child nursing: they make formula.
    you already committed the crime so there is nothing you can do to undo the crime. You will simply have to wait it out.

If anything, I hope you have learned to never shoplift again.

Quote Quoting PandorasBox
    View Post
    If anything, I hope you have learned to never shoplift again.
    Oh pandora ever the optimist. She is obviously a professional shoplifter.

I have gotten items from this store many times before, for a long time

There are no surveillance cameras as far as I could see, just security tags
    obviously has taken the time to investigate her target

Nothing short of getting tossed in jail is going to stop this person.

btw OP, in Michigan, the act of secreting the merchandise is enough to charge you with shoplifting. Once you hid the merchandise, that is proof enough of shoplifting whether you left the store or not. What that means is when you go into the dressing room and hide the stuff, you can be arrested immediately.

I would hope this would scare her....it scared her enough to come here for advice.

But...if she continues, she will get caught eventually.

To the Original Poster. When you go to a store....how about getting one of the store carts that allows you to shop with your kid, and has a lot of space for your items? Sorry...the "no room in the stroller" excuse will not hold up in court.

And beware...when you get caught...it will screw up your job opportunities, you will have a criminal record. And it will cost you atleast $2000. Plus you will be fingerprinted and have a mugshot taken at the local jail.

1. Sponsored Links