Default Driving Over Double Yellow Line into Left Turn Lane, VC 21651(A)(1)

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of CA. I was heading North on Crenshaw Blvd. and I was coming up to Torrance Blvd. and I was going to make a left turn at the light. At this light there is a designated left turn lane, which was blocked by cars in front of me because of traffic, so I got into the center lane before the left turn lane and proceeded forward. The center turn lane was dashed, so there is no problem there, the problem is that the center turn lane turns into the left turn lane and when it does it becomes a double yellow. When I got into the center lane I could not see that it was a double yellow because this specific intersection I was at was on a slight hill and the double yellow was on the other side, so I could not see it.

To sum it up, I got pulled over by a motorcycle cop and was given a 21651 (A) (1) ticket, which specifically says "Drive over double yellow island". What are my chances of winning this in court next week? If I have a chance at this, what should I argue? Any other tips or info would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: 21651 (A) (1) Driving Over Double Yellow Line into Left Turn Lane

Quote Quoting bigtallguy
    View Post
    The center turn lane was dashed, so there is no problem there, the problem is that the center turn lane turns into the left turn lane and when it does it becomes a double yellow. When I got into the center lane I could not see that it was a double yellow because this specific intersection I was at was on a slight hill and the double yellow was on the other side, so I could not see it.
    I've never seen a center lane that turns into a left turn lane WITHOUT it changing from dashed lines to double yellow lines... So I doubt your argument that you couldn't see the lines is going to fly in court.

Quote Quoting bigtallguy
    View Post
    What are my chances of winning this in court next week?
    Pretty slim...

VC 21651.
    (a) Whenever a highway has been divided into two or more roadways by means of intermittent barriers or by means of a dividing section of not less than two feet in width, either unpaved or delineated by curbs, double-parallel lines, or other markings on the roadway, it is unlawful to do either of the following:
    (1) To drive any vehicle over, upon, or across the dividing section.

(2) To make any left, semicircular, or U-turn with the vehicle on the divided highway, except through an opening in the barrier designated and intended by public authorities for the use of vehicles or through a plainly marked opening in the dividing section.
    (b) It is unlawful to drive any vehicle upon a highway, except to the right of an intermittent barrier or a dividing section which separates two or more opposing lanes of traffic. Except as otherwise provided in subdivision (c), a violation of this subdivision is a misdemeanor.
    (c) Any willful violation of subdivision (b) which results in injury to, or death of, a person shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison, or imprisonment in a county jail for a period of not more than six months.

Default Re: 21651 (A) (1) Driving Over Double Yellow Line into Left Turn Lane

Quote Quoting That Guy
    View Post
    I've never seen a center lane that turns into a left turn lane WITHOUT it changing from dashed lines to double yellow lines...
    Not that I think it will matter as a defense, but I have seen a center lane turn into a left turn lane without it changing from dashed lines to double yellow lines in at least a few places in LA. The other is more common, but it definitely exists.

1. Sponsored Links