Default Hit and Run of a Pedestrian in California

I was a passenger in a parked car in a shopping center in Northern California when an SUV comes up. I was picking up an exercise bag that fell. Before I picked it up I saw the SUV waiting. I had my car door open and I saw the SUV waiting for me. Just as I picked up the item the SUV hit me between the car and I fell forcefully back into the car. Right away I called the Police and they filed a police report. I gave them the License Plate of the car that hit me. I do not have insurance and we were told nothing of reporting it to the insurance of my friend since she was not injured. She was my witness.

The police said that if it goes to court that the information we gave him including my California ID will be used.

I want compensation for what took place. If the driver waited two seconds he would have been able to park or he should have went a few spaces away and parked. He knew that there would not be enough clearance. My friend commented that he had no right hitting me like he did and took off. I called the police right away.

On the report it said "Suspicious Circumstances". What does this imply? They took photos of me and although there was no external bruise I had pain in my neck and called the Police Office later on and the receptionist took a message and passed in on to the officer.

What are my legal recourse for this? I said to the driver that was rude and then he fled the scene. He gave my friend who was the witness a nasty look.

If this goes to court will the court appoint me a lawyer since I have no money due to being out of work. I told the officer that I have a visual impairment and will be having a surgery. Can I get compensation from the driver for pain and suffering, delaying looking for a jabo and emotional distress. I am still in shock. He could have hurt me even more. If this had been an elderly person or a child the damages could have been worse.

I was aware that the SUV was there and there were other parking spaces that were open. He decided in a fast and vicious way to pull in when I was between the door. I made eye contact with the driver before he swerved in.

Thanks in advance for your advice and how to proceed with this, I am trying to find a lawyer that would work Pro Bono or on Contingency but it is hard to find one in the Bay Area. If you know of a good lawyer that could help me with this please give me the info or where I should go.

Did I do the right thing? Since I got his license plate number they were able to locte him in an a nearby residence.

I realize that you spend hours volunteering your time helping citizens like me with these cases. I really appreciate the services that you offer on this board.

Default Re: Hit and Run California

What I don't under stand is, how could the other car hit you making you fall into your car without the other car hitting your car door?

Are you sure that the other car didn't hit you and you decided to jump out of the way of the other car into your car?

If this car did hit you where were you standing at the time of impact and what part of the other car came into contact with what part of your body?

Default Re: Hit and Run of a Pedestrian in California

I must be tired. I read this subject heading as "Hit and Run of a Presbyterian"....

Talking Re: Hit and Run of a Pedestrian in California

nap time for you!!!

1. Sponsored Links