Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Physician's Treatment Induces Burn Injuries to Face

Had a doctor treat my face in the state of Texas for a medical condition and performed a facial treatment that he did an improper treatment technique which resulted in a SEVERE BURN to the right facial and forehead.

The whole right side of my face literally looked like I fell out of a moving vehicle at 50 mph face first into the concrete.

Went to ER, which doctor wanted ME to PAY for FIRST, which I refused and he eventually payed for the visit (1 hr. later). Was given steroid treatment to the facial.

Went up to his office, (hour away) and asked for a refund said he would reimburse me but wanted to examine the injury + sign some kind of waiver, refused. Then got angry and said "i'll mail you a check."
    Then he changed his mind and said he would seek legal advice before issuing me a refund.

Wasted a trip to his office,

was out for the next week+ at the least. Missed school w/ maximum amount of absences, extreme amounts of pain from treatment and remedy, couldn't even go out in public (The pharmacist said that I should go to the hospital as I was picking up the steroid ).

Now I have evidence (documentation) everyday from the incident and am suing for compensatory damages at the least.
    Is there any other damages that I am entitled to or that I can do to maximize my settlement in my case?

Thanks.

Default Re: Physician's Treatment Induces Burn Injuries to Face

Quote Quoting ConsultLegalAdvi
    View Post
    Had a doctor treat my face in the state of Texas for a medical condition and performed a facial treatment that he did an improper treatment technique which resulted in a SEVERE BURN to the right facial and forehead.

The whole right side of my face literally looked like I fell out of a moving vehicle at 50 mph face first into the concrete.

Went to ER, which doctor wanted ME to PAY for FIRST, which I refused and he eventually payed for the visit (1 hr. later). Was given steroid treatment to the facial.

Went up to his office, (hour away) and asked for a refund said he would reimburse me but wanted to examine the injury + sign some kind of waiver, refused. Then got angry and said "i'll mail you a check."
    Then he changed his mind and said he would seek legal advice before issuing me a refund.

Wasted a trip to his office,

was out for the next week+ at the least. Missed school w/ maximum amount of absences, extreme amounts of pain from treatment and remedy, couldn't even go out in public (The pharmacist said that I should go to the hospital as I was picking up the steroid ).

Now I have evidence (documentation) everyday from the incident and am suing for compensatory damages at the least.
    Is there any other damages that I am entitled to or that I can do to maximize my settlement in my case?

Thanks.
    Describe the "treatment". Some "treatments" carry well known risks of burns. You would have signed an informed consent before the procedure which would have outlined the risks.

It is doubtful that the Physician at the ER would have requested payment before treating you, nor would s/he pay for the services they were providing to you.

It was appropriate for the treat Physician to want to examine the area the procedure, especially if you present with an adverse reaction....ESPECIALLY when another Physician prescribes a steroid to be applied to your face!!

What "evidence" are you referring to?

Other than the burn and pain, what injury did you suffer? You don't mention any scarring, temporary or permanent, or how visible it is.

Why wouldn't you let the doctor examine your injury?

Quote Quoting lealea1005
    View Post
    Describe the "treatment". Some "treatments" carry well known risks of burns. You would have signed an informed consent before the procedure which would have outlined the risks.

It is doubtful that the Physician at the ER would have requested payment before treating you, nor would s/he pay for the services they were providing to you.

It was appropriate for the treat Physician to want to examine the area the procedure, especially if you present with an adverse reaction....ESPECIALLY when another Physician prescribes a steroid to be applied to your face!!

What "evidence" are you referring to?
    The facial treatment was a chemical peel on the whole face. When performed correctly under the care of a physician who is a professional no burn or injury should have occurred. Some people perform this themselves DIY but I didn't want to take any risks and paid good money to have a doctor perform this correctly since I don't have very much knowledge regarding this treatment.

No form of consent outlining any kind of risks were signed what so ever, in fact I wasn't even mentioned of any possible risks at the time either....

The place I was treated after resulting in the burn injury was called an "Emergency Room" in which they work in a walk-in basis. They require insurance but since I am a poor college student and I was self-pay for my facial treatment with the other doctor and HE had caused the injury, HE was liable to pay for the visit.

Charge is an initial fee of $200 + any other charges that may incur.

I was pretty upset with the injury that he had done to my face at the time and he really isn't as professional of a physician should be especially since he specializes in this area and for "how long he claims to have done this."

I was told by the "ER" that I had legal rights on whether or not the other doctor could get the report after I was treated, of course after I was treated there the doctor who injured my face had a doctor-to-nurse conversation and she faxed the report right over....(after I was told it had to be under my consent) so he was informed of the injuries that I had sustained thereafter...

He rushed the whole procedure which also further resulted in my injuries. I really didn't want him to touch me any more so that is why I just came to his office and asked for a refund and said NO THANKS to any of his requests until my attorney approves of anything ,which he also wanted me to sign some sort of waiver saying I wasn't going to be his doctor anymore. Why would I need to sign this? How about I just don't come back anymore and he's no longer my doctor....

Evidence:
    I have documented pictures everyday since the incident.

first:

HE had caused the injury, HE was liable to pay for the visit.
    that is something only a court can determine. You had every right to pay for it yourself and sue the doc but that is about it.

I was told by the "ER" that I had legal rights on whether or not the other doctor could get the report after I was treated, of course after I was treated there the doctor who injured my face had a doctor-to-nurse conversation and she faxed the report right over....(after I was told it had to be under my consent) so he was informed of the injuries that I had sustained thereafter..
    it sounds like there may be a HIPAA violation.See here on how to file a complaint:

http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa...nts/index.html

realize you will get no financial benefit from a HIPAA violation

So, when you get another doctor that will state the treating physician screwed up and this is not a known side effect of the treatment and the treating physician was negligent in some way, contact a PI attorney. Unless this has lasting effects, I would suggest you will not find an attorney that will take this case on a contingency basis and will have to pay an hourly rate to engage the attorney.

also understand: a chemical peel will always cause a burn. That is how it works. The chemicals burn away the outer layers of your skin. It is controlling how much it burns that is critical. If the doctor did not make recommended tests to determine how sensitive your skin is prior to acting, he may have acted negligently. If he simply left it on too long, he may have been negligent.

Before you have any claims, you will have to determine if the doctor was negligent in his actions.

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    Other than the burn and pain, what injury did you suffer? You don't mention any scarring, temporary or permanent, or how visible it is.

Why wouldn't you let the doctor examine your injury?
    If you can imagine how visible and what....
    Quote Quoting ConsultLegalAdvi
    View Post
    ...would leave, it obviously is going to leave a scar on my face that is going to be there for a long time....I wish I was exaggerating but that is exactly how just about anyone who saw the injury sustained to my face would describe it...

And if it weren't for the steroid treatment it would've probably been a permanent scar "since the steroid was telling my body's nervous system to calm down and not react to the injuries so adversely" - Emergency physician's words....
    Also to add I was shedding like a snake everyday...

I'd post pictures of the injury but I don't want to gross anyone out....

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post
    If the doctor did not make recommended tests to determine how sensitive your skin is prior to acting, he may have acted negligently. If he simply left it on too long, he may have been negligent.

Before you have any claims, you will have to determine if the doctor was negligent in his actions.
    He didn't even tell me EXACTLY that he was performing a chemical peel to my face....I found that out after doing research on why I had sustained the injuries I did...it is their "secret" FACIAL treatment that is a European treatment that they use is all they said to me....

The Doctor didn't make any tests and he is a very clumsy man and he didn't even point the fan to my face, just turned it on in a different direction for no less than a second and turned it off...

=ConsultLegalAdvi;416907]

He didn't even tell me EXACTLY that he was performing a chemical peel to my face....I found that out after doing research on why I had sustained the injuries I did...it is their "secret" FACIAL treatment that is a European treatment that they use is all they said to me....
    then how do you claim you were going to do whatever the doctor was going to do at home but decided to go to the doctor? Your ignorance of what you ASKED to have performed makes absolutely no sense.

The Doctor didn't make any tests and he is a very clumsy man and he didn't even point the fan to my face, just turned it on in a different direction for no less than a second and turned it off...
    and? there is no need for a fan for a chemical peel. they put acid on your face. Wind blowing on it doesn't change anything.

here is a bit of info about chemical peels:

Depending upon the type of chemical peel, a reaction similar to sunburn occurs following the procedure. Peeling usually involves redness, followed by scaling that ends within three to seven days. Mild peels may be repeated at one to four-week intervals until the desired clinical effect is achieved.
    Medium-depth and deep peeling may result in swelling, as well as the presence of water blisters that may break, crust, turn brown and peel off over a period of seven to 14 days. Medium-depth peels may be repeated in six to twelve months, if necessary
    since we have no idea what type of peel it was, what you described may be fully within the expected results. Before you have any claims, you will have to determine if the doctor was negligent in his actions.

So, before this heals to the point where a doctor looks at you and says "HHmm, so you say it was red? It peeled? Looks fine to me now", go to a doctor now to allow them to see if there really is a problem.

So, you would have us believe that you went for a skin "treatment" to your face not knowing what the treatment was? Was your peel done by a Board Certified Plastic or Cosmetic Surgeon or a Dermatologist?

It is not unusual for one's face to look like it has a severe sunburn or look "raw" and have some swelling after a chemical peel. It is also normal to peel or flake. basically, you are regrowing new skin. It can take a few days to a few weeks to start looking "normal" again.

You probably signed a release when you registered for treatment at the office.

ETA: whoops...must have been typing the same time you were, jk. You're fast!!

Quote Quoting lealea1005
    View Post
    So, you would have us believe that you went for a skin "treatment" to your face not knowing what the treatment was? Was your peel done by a Board Certified Plastic or Cosmetic Surgeon or a Dermatologist?

It is not unusual for one's face to look like it has a severe sunburn or look "raw" and have some swelling after a chemical peel. It is also normal to peel or flake. basically, you are regrowing new skin. It can take a few days to a few weeks to start looking "normal" again.

You probably signed a release when you registered for treatment at the office.

ETA: whoops...must have been typing the same time you were, jk. You're fast!!

He is a doctor M.D. so I assume he is a board certified dermatologist.

He performed the whole procedure on my whole face, but the whole ONE-RIGHT side of my face was was severely burnt ONLY.
    If those are normal symptoms you described than I don't know why I wasn't told of those symptoms and why only ONE SIDE of my face was burning and peeling off...

I didn't sign any kind of contract that I had to read when I began treatment at his office I just remember filling out basic medical information and photo copy of identification but I will find out what forms I had signed....

It is obvious that he performed the procedure incorrectly from the damage sustained partially on my face and from researching onto this topic if a high enough % of peel is incorrectly performed it can cause injury to the point where one has to perform surgery to rectify the sustained damages.

I was out from school for more than a week. And It wouldn't have healed as well as it is right now if I hadn't applied the steroid treatment that I was given to my face. There was significant amount of bruising on my face as well not just swelling and burning, it really looked like it would have been permanent damage or would have been there for a very, very long time at the time of injury.

I will request the medical board to re-examine his license and whether or not he is competent enough to perform this procedure.

Being an MD - Medical Doctor - does not imply that your physician was actually a board-certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist.
    An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise - Victor Hugo

Do not microwave grapes

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast