Default Accidentally Breaking Property

My friends have a court hearing in may, they accidentally broke something that was worth 2 grand, are you able to get a criminal record from a court hearing? Or does it have to go to trial?

Default Re: Effect of a Court Hearing

If they're charged with a crime, and the hearing is part of their prosecution for the crime, then they will presumably have a record of the charge and the ultimate disposition.

You haven't given us much to work with.

Arrow Re: Effect of a Court Hearing

You have to be convicted of a crime(which means either pleading guilty or standing trial) to have a record, but once charges have been filed they will show up as pending on any records checks.

No, you have to be convicted to have a conviction. Even in the event of a dismissal or acquittal, the record of charges and their disposition will still ordinarily appear on an abstract of your criminal history - what most people mean when they say "criminal record".

Sorry if I wasn't specific enough.

Basically they got summonsed for a hearing (coming up in June), they have already paid for what they broke. Is there any chance that they will come out of this without a criminal history?

They don't care about what happens at the hearing weather it be probation, a fine, whatever. They are all freshman in college and are worried that they won't be able to get a job as a result of this.

You guys are really helpful despite my cluelessness. Thanks a lot.

It's not impossible for them to secure a dismissal or deferral; but we have no way of knowing what will happen. Tell your friends to talk to their lawyer(s).

Nobody has a lawyer, their understanding was that they would just go to the hearing and no big deal?

The people that own the building that they broke the door at have already said that they would want to drop the charges.

So what you are saying is that, even if it gets dismissed, there will still be a black mark on my background check?

You haven't even bothered to follow the instruction to identify your state.

I suggest that you consult a criminal defense lawyer in your county, so you can get advice specific to the practices in your local court.

(Should I add that your friends' criminal conduct doesn't end up on your record?)

1. Sponsored Links