Default 3rd Federal Extension

My question involves unemployment benefits for the state of: CA

I received my 3rd federal extension and received payment for 1 week. Then I got a job. I was layed-off after 6 weeks and I filed a claim again. I then received payments where I left off from my 3rd extension. My 3rd almost expired and EDD started another state claim for me, which I am on now, but at a much lower amount. My question is, I am still missing my last amount from my 3rd claim, and I tried to contact EDD about it, but they say all my extensions are exhausted. I want to make sure it wasn't a mistake putting me back on my 3rd claim before I contact EDD to pursue where my last amount of money is from my 3rd federal extension. Any help would be appreciated.

Exclamation Re: 3rd Federal Extension

I have read that if you qualify under the regular state unemployment benefits program then you will receive that and not the federal extensions. In fact, the first thing the unemployment office does when you apply is attempt to qualify you under the regular state benefit program. If you don't for some reason qualify for that, they will then see what extension benefits you might be eligible for. Since you did qualify for a new claim under the regular state benefit program any further extensions six months from now will likely be based on the new claim amount.

Default Re: 3rd Federal Extension

Hi Mutual,

So my being put back on my original 3rd federal extension(which I collected partially before I got the job) after I refiled a claim when I got laid-off after working 6 weeks wasn't a mistake?

Quote Quoting jondeen
    View Post
    Hi Mutual,

So my being put back on my original 3rd federal extension(which I collected partially before I got the job) after I refiled a claim when I got laid-off after working 6 weeks wasn't a mistake?
    It wasn't a mistake because sufficient time did not pass during your new job to establish a new claim.

Smile Re: 3rd Federal Extension

It would probably depend on when your original state claim year started/ended and/or when your eligibility for the tier three was established.The unemployment people probably make their share of mistakes but are more versed in complicated eligibility criteria than we lay people are.

No mistake. Once you start working and your benefits end, you must work a minimum of 16 weeks to be again eligible. It is a catch-22, you have to look for work and can't refuse work, but if you don't work long enough, you are screwed.

Thanks Viper, thanks Mutual...

1. Sponsored Links