Default Have Received Final Notice but No Itemized Bill

My question involves collection proceedings in the State of:Georgia. I had surgery at a hopsptal July 09. I never recieved a bill of any kind from the hospital. I had paid $200.00 the day before surgery and was informed that if I paid I believe $800.00 the next day(day of surgery) my bill would be paid off. Well since I never received a bill I figured the $200 and my insurance must have taken care of it. Fast forward to end of Feb 2010. I receive a call from them asking about the VA taking care of the rest of the bill. I inform them I have never received a bill and would like a detailed bill and Va not responsible that I had insurance at the time. They sent me a bill with the Va as the responsible party. I called them again and informed them of this and asked again for a detailed bill. I never received a itemized bill but I did receive a corrected statement bill. I waited about another week and called back to ask about the itemized bill and was informed that it had to be ordered from somewhere else and probably had not had time for me to receive it yet. I received another statement though. I called again andwas informed that it had been sent out according to their computers on March 25th to which I informed them that I still had not received it. I ws going to go ahead and try to set up payments anyhow and was informed that because I could not guarantee that I could pay $150.00 a month that they couldn't set up payments so they would just send the final notice and turn it over to collections. Well during some of my research about this, I found a Ga state law that requires hospitals to send itemized statements within 6 days release as an inpatient and as I never received one they are in violation of this. So I wrote them correspondence last week after getting off the phone with their representative that refused to take what I could afford to pay, and informed them that I would like to come to some arrangement before I have to file a complaint against them and them turn me over to colllections. I just don't know what to do. If they had sent the bill last year when I had a job we would have already had a payment set up but now myh husband is the only one working and we cannot pay a $9000.00 hospital bill the way they want it paid. Please any advice on this matter would be much appreciated. Do I go ahead and make a complaint against them as they haven't responded to my correspondence? Do I need to speak with someone else in their company besides the people answering the phones? Do I need to get a lawyer(that I can't afford) and if so what kind? Sorry this is so long but I wanted to try to put all the info on here that I could. Thank you all so much for your help.

Default Re: Have Received Final Notice but No Itemized Bill

If you were employed/insured at the time of service, your current employment/insurance status does not matter. You may still be able to get them to process the claim.

Call your old insurance company (hopefully you still have your card) and ask them...

1. whether they ever received a claim.

2. what their timely filing period is. Some insurance companies allow up to a year...some only 90
    days.

3. a copy of your explanation of benefits (EOB) if they indeed did receive
    and process a claim. The EOB will indicate the amount you are responsible to pay.

Thanks for replying but my insurance did pay. They paid round $5000.00 dollars. So they have already received that payment.

I can't speak for Georgia, but where I live once hospitals have billed and been paid by an insurance company, they don't usually send an itemized statement to the patient. The EOB from the insurance company shows what they paid and what the patient owes, among other things. The hospital then bills the patient for the amount shown on the EOB. I believe the reason for this is that once the insurance company and the hospital apply their contract agreements and do their cost reductions, any resemblence of the final bill to the initial itemized statement is purely coincidental.

For example, I had one situation a couple of years ago in which the initial bill was about $18,000. The insurance company reduced it to about $1,950 with my part of it being about $1,000.

thanks for the reply. All I know is what I found out online and Georgia has a law that states I should have received an itemized bill in 6 days of my release from the hospital. If you don't get an itemized bill how will you know if they overbilled you or charged you for services not rendered. I have been steadily requesting one also and I have still not received one so I thought about filing a complaint with the correct office, I just don't know. I have always paid my bills but for them to wait from July 09 till Feb 10 just doesn't make sense. Anyway thanks for your responses.

It can't hurt you to file a complaint, and it may help.

1. Sponsored Links