Default My Roommate Stole My Appliances

My question involves criminal law for the state of: north carolina

alright my ex roommate and me started having problems back in aug 09 over his live in girlfriend who wasn't paying any bills. i stopped staying at the rental property in dec 09 i continued to pay half of the bills seeing how i was liable for my half of the rent because of the signed lease. i was collecting unemployment and it ran out in feb 2010 there was two months left on the lease. having no money i couldn't pay any of the bills. i have keep in contact with the property manager and have made arrangements to pay my half of the rent for the last two months having recently gotten a job. about two weeks before the lease was up i went by the house to start packing my belongings, my roommate changed the lock so i couldn't get in and of course he wouldn't answer or return my calls. a week past and i decided i was going to break a window to get in and get my stuff. when i went by the house to do so i noticed that my roommate had moved and switched the lock back. he stole my washer and dryer. they were a gift from my old boss, who isn't too happy with me now. i heard through the grapevine that my roommate was going around saying that after 30 days my stuff became his or some crap like that. i have no way of proving that the washer and dryer were mine, except for the word of my friends. what can i do, if anything?

Default Re: My Roommate Stole My Appliances

Take him to small claims court. If he tells the judge the bit about after 30 days your stuff became his, he'll make your case for you. Don't warn him about that ahead of time.

1. Sponsored Links