Hybrid View

Default Protecting the Elderly

I LIVE IN CONNECTICUT,DAD RESIDES IN FLORIDA. TO MAKE A LONG STORY SHORT: PARENTS QUITE WELL OFF, COERCISED INTO SELLING HOUSE, CAR, MOVING TO ASSISTED LIVING FACILITY,MAKING" FRIENDS" FROM CHURCH POA'S. MUM EXTREMELY UPSET ABOUT WHOLE DEAL, HAD NASTY FALL, NOW SHE'S DEAD. POA'S HAVE COMPLETE CONTROL OVER DAD-TRANSPORTATION, ALL BANKING ACCOUNTS, ALL ASPECTS OF DAILY LIFE, I AM GOING BACK TO VISIT UNANNOUNCED AND WOULD LIKE TO GET AN ACCOUNTING OF ALL TRANSACTIONS THESE PEOPLE HAVE MADE IN THE PAST YEAR. WHEN THERE IN JANUARY FOR FUNERAL,DAD TRIED TO GET HIS LAWYERS TO CHANGE POA, BUT THEY WOULD NOT, SO WE WENT TO ANOTHER OFFICE AND I HAVE PAPERS STATING I AM NOW POA. IS THIS ENOUGH TO PROTECT HIM IF I GO THERE AND STIR UP THE POT? I HAVE DOCUMENTATION OF THE CONDITION HE WAS IN WHEN THERE LAST(PICTURES), I HAVE WRITTEN DOWN EVERYTHING SEEN AND HEARD SINCE THIS WHOLE HORROR SHOW STARTED. I NEED HELP ASAP AS I PLAN TO GO IN JUNE. I WILL STAY THIS TIME FOR AS LONG AS IT TAKES! tHANKS EVER SO MUCH!!!!!

Default Re: Protecting the Elderly

Quote Quoting lettabelle
    View Post
    I LIVE IN CONNECTICUT,DAD RESIDES IN FLORIDA. TO MAKE A LONG STORY SHORT: PARENTS QUITE WELL OFF, COERCISED INTO SELLING HOUSE, CAR, MOVING TO ASSISTED LIVING FACILITY,MAKING" FRIENDS" FROM CHURCH POA'S. MUM EXTREMELY UPSET ABOUT WHOLE DEAL, HAD NASTY FALL, NOW SHE'S DEAD. POA'S HAVE COMPLETE CONTROL OVER DAD-TRANSPORTATION, ALL BANKING ACCOUNTS, ALL ASPECTS OF DAILY LIFE, I AM GOING BACK TO VISIT UNANNOUNCED AND WOULD LIKE TO GET AN ACCOUNTING OF ALL TRANSACTIONS THESE PEOPLE HAVE MADE IN THE PAST YEAR. WHEN THERE IN JANUARY FOR FUNERAL,DAD TRIED TO GET HIS LAWYERS TO CHANGE POA, BUT THEY WOULD NOT, SO WE WENT TO ANOTHER OFFICE AND I HAVE PAPERS STATING I AM NOW POA. IS THIS ENOUGH TO PROTECT HIM IF I GO THERE AND STIR UP THE POT? I HAVE DOCUMENTATION OF THE CONDITION HE WAS IN WHEN THERE LAST(PICTURES), I HAVE WRITTEN DOWN EVERYTHING SEEN AND HEARD SINCE THIS WHOLE HORROR SHOW STARTED. I NEED HELP ASAP AS I PLAN TO GO IN JUNE. I WILL STAY THIS TIME FOR AS LONG AS IT TAKES! tHANKS EVER SO MUCH!!!!!

I am now in a similar situation where my sisters mother in law, as well as my own mom, both are "ill and incompetent", both due to Alzheimers. Whether your dad is as sick, I cannot tell from your message.

My sister's MIL is a CT resident, and my mom is a NY resident, and we've been told that POA's done before a certain date (sometime within the last two years as I recall) are invalid, and all had to be re-done. So if the other POA was done long ago, it may well be invalid, and the new one would have to be done anyway. Howver, it is possible that each bank may have it's own POA on file, and you would have to check each one individually.

In the case of my sister's MIL, because of problems of other family members wasting her funds, and obtstructing any accounting, my sister's husband has gone to court and was appointed a conservator giving him all the powers needed. However, according to my sister, the amount of paperwork as a conservator is immense, and should be avoided if at all possible.

My brother has gotten an updated POA for my mom two months ago, and even so, the bank had balked at recognizing the POA when he had ask for old statements in handling my dad's estate, with the bank calling the house ( I was there with my mom when it happened) insisting she go down in person to make the request, even with my brother possessing the POA at the bank.

Unfortunately, I told the bank it was impossible as we would need an ambulance to haul my mom to the bank, not to mention that she can no longer sign her name. Finally the bank ask to just speak to her over the phone, and ask her what her "birthday" is. She is hard of hearing and I had to shout the question into her ear. I told the bank her answer was "she had no idea when her birthday is".

We finally got the bank to produce the statements we needed after all that fuss, but going forward, we don't know if a POA is all that good in all circumstances.

Default Re: Protecting the Elderly

Thanks for your reply. My Dad is mobil and is mentally competent. Its just these people who are in charge of things right now are extremely defensive,hide things from us, and I'm afraid to shake things up from here, as they would go have my Dad deemed incompetant, I dont trust the Lawyers either. As I said before, they would not revoke POA from these people when I was there before, so Dad & I went elsewhere and drew up new POA papers. I just hope what I have is enough to protect Him & I when I go down in June and try to redeem what is left for him. Im a little afraid of these people. If I turn my back for a second, I'm afraid of what they could do to Dad and his Finances.

1. Sponsored Links