Default Possible Embezzlement Charges

My question involves criminal law for the state of: CA

Last year I made a series of very stupid mistakes and took money from my former employer; a little bit on many different occasions. I think the amount adds up to be around $2000. I know that this can be considered a felony and is a very serious crime.

I was informed last week that the franchise noticed a difference in the amount reported by the franchise owners (my former bosses) from last year and they are now conducting an internal audit. I know that the auditors will be able to see suspicious activity in the register. My manager told me that they suspect the amount is $12,000 - $20,000 missing. There is no way I took even remotely that much, so I suspect I wasnt the only one there doing it, either that or the owners under reported (but I dont think so). But each employee has a specific number that records who does each transaction.

I have never done anything like this before and have no criminal record. I have not been charged yet as they have not even finished auditing. If I have not been charged, should I still get an attorney now? What are the chances I could escape jail time if charged? Will they come to arrest me, or send a letter of summons? What is my best possible and worst possible scenario?

Default Re: Possible Embezzlement Charges

It couldn't hurt to consult a criminal defense lawyer now. You should be able to find one who will offer a free consultation.

I can't promise you in advance what the charge or potential plea bargain would be, assuming you're even charged, but if you have no priors I would expect that you would get probation. I suggest preparing to pay restitution for any shortage that's identified.

1. Sponsored Links