Question Sued Over a Credit Card - What Should I Do

I am from Texas and today I got served with papers about a credit card that I owe money on. It has been in collections for awhile, but they don't understand that I don't have a job, and that the only source of income that I get is child support. See I am epilepic and not allowed to work. I have tried to work with them on occasions but they wouldn't work with me. What should I do?

Default Re: Sued Over a Credit Card - What Should I Do

It depends on whether its still with the oc or whether its gone to a collection agency. If its gone to a collection agency, chances are you can fight it and win if you do your homework or hire an attorney. But if its the oc going after you, they will most likely be able to make a strong case against you.

Now even if the oc wins a judgment against you, they cannot garnish your child support check. Just don't keep any money in bank accounts because they can take that.

Courtnee,

No matter what you do, you need to answer the lawsuit with the court. You can call the court and ask if they have a "General Denial" form for you to fill out and file with the court. This part is free and necessary. If they do not have a form you can search the internet.

After you file the answer with the court, send a copy of the answer to the attorney listed on the lawsuit paperwork. After they receive the answer in their office, talk with the attorney or paralegal and let them know that you: you deny the allegations in the lawsuit, that you are not allowed to work, and see if you can settle with them for an amount you can afford.

If you need low cost legal assistance you can either contract Legal Aid in your area. You can also call our firm.

Thank you so much for your suggestions..just I have been so lost. When I was reading everything and what they are asking for is out of my league. They want the court fees, attorneys, plus what I owe on the card and the interest rate. I don't have anything in my name at all.

1. Sponsored Links