Default Speeding Camera Tickets in Washington State

My question involves a speeding ticket from the State of: Washington

So here's the deal. I recently received a ticket in the mail from one of those lovely traffic camera's trying to nail me for a $200 fine due to speeding in a school zone. The posted limit on the flashing sign was 20mph while I was clocked at 28mph.

My question regards my interpretation of Washington state law.

RCW 46.63.170 states in section 2 the following:

(2) Infractions detected through the use of automated traffic safety cameras are not part of the registered owner's driving record under RCW 46.52.101 and 46.52.120. Additionally, infractions generated by the use of automated traffic safety cameras under this section shall be processed in the same manner as parking infractions, including for the purposes of RCW 3.50.100, 35.20.220, 46.16.216, and 46.20.270(3). However, the amount of the fine issued for an infraction generated through the use of an automated traffic safety camera shall not exceed the amount of a fine issued for other parking infractions within the jurisdiction.

Based on my interpretation of this, I can draw the conclusion that either the city of Auburn charges an average of $200 for parking violations or they are charging me an amount that breaks this states laws.

Any thoughts?

Default Re: Speeding Camera - Washington State

Quote Quoting jkindle
    View Post
    Based on my interpretation of this, I can draw the conclusion that either the city of Auburn charges an average of $200 for parking violations or they are charging me an amount that breaks this states laws.

"Average"? Where do you see the word "average" in that law. As long as there is a single parking fine (handicap violation, for example) of $200, they are NOT breaking state law. Now, if there are NO $200 parking fines in Auburn, then, yes, they are in violation.

However, how do YOU plan on fighting it? If you make this argument to a judge in the Auburn Municipal Court, and he/she does not accept your argument, what will you do then? On appeal, this case COULD end up in the State Supreme Court. So, in my opinion, if you're going to fight this ticket on those grounds, you'd best hire an attorney from the beginning. Oh, and it will probably end up costing WAY more than $200 when all is said and done -- even if you eventually win.

Barry

Quote Quoting blewis
    View Post
    "Average"? Where do you see the word "average" in that law. As long as there is a single parking fine (handicap violation, for example) of $200, they are NOT breaking state law. Now, if there are NO $200 parking fines in Auburn, then, yes, they are in violation.
    Barry
    After reviewing Auburn Municipal Code I have tracked down a portion of the code stating that handicap violations are a charge of $250.

These cameras seem like an effective way to prey on citizens and make the lives of police officers easier.

Had I been going faster than 28, and had an officer actually been present I think I'd feel less furious about it.

Quote Quoting jkindle
    View Post
    These cameras seem like an effective way to prey on citizens and make the lives of police officers easier.
    And so it seems, but it's amazing the number of people that still speed even when they know that cameras are there... shows how many people are speeding when cops aren't around.

Although I normally wouldn't say this, it is a completely justifiable ticket because...

Quote Quoting jkindle
    View Post
    Had I been going faster than 28, and had an officer actually been present I think I'd feel less furious about it.
    ...you still broke the law. It doesn't matter how it makes you feel.

If you run a red light and no one is around to see it, you broke the law.

If you murdered someone and no one was around to see it, you broke the law. It doesn't matter if you're caught or not.

Now, if you feel differently, write your legislator and get it changed.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't fight the ticket, only saying that there is no place for emotions.

Brendan

1. Sponsored Links