Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Accident at a 4-Way Stop in Michigan

My girlfriend and I were driving (she was the driver). We approached a four way stop intersection. We allowed 3 cars (that were there before us) to cross the intersection before we decided to. Another either did a poor rolling stop or flat out ran the stop sign and hit the passenger side of my car while we were going through the intersection.

My girlfriend has been having some pain in her lower and upper back, I am fine. She has sought medical attention and is currently on medication.

I have full coverage insurance and my deductable is $500. I've been told that $500 is the most that I can sue for in court. Is this true? This is the first vehicle accident that I have been in and am unsure on what steps to take and that I can collect.

Default Re: Accident and 4-Way Stop in Michigan

you can collect up to $500 of damages not covered by your insurance. Since you have $500 deductible, then you should be able to recover that from the other driver.

What type of collision coverage do you have? What would you be suing for?

I have full coverage insurance but I still have a $500 deductible since the police report doesn't say I'm less than 50% at fault. The other driver is accusing me of doing a rolling stop and hitting her vehicle when going through the intersection...how the officer could even think this is possible is beyond me...the front end of "her" car struck the middle passenger side of "my" car when I was already halfway through the intersection...the officer did not issue her a citation because he couldn't find who was at fault and there were no independent witnesses...

So as of right now I have to pay my $500 deductible which I plan on suing her for in court to recover since she obviously was the one at fault.

My girlfriend has suffered back and hip pain for over a week now and because her car insurance is only PLPD, they will not cover her medical bills. Can she sue to recover $$$ for her medical bills?

Quote Quoting longhungjohn33
    View Post
    I have full coverage insurance but I still have a $500 deductible since the police report doesn't say I'm less than 50% at fault. The other driver is accusing me of doing a rolling stop and hitting her vehicle when going through the intersection...how the officer could even think this is possible is beyond me...the front end of "her" car struck the middle passenger side of "my" car when I was already halfway through the intersection...the officer did not issue her a citation because he couldn't find who was at fault and there were no independent witnesses...

So as of right now I have to pay my $500 deductible which I plan on suing her for in court to recover since she obviously was the one at fault.

My girlfriend has suffered back and hip pain for over a week now and because her car insurance is only PLPD, they will not cover her medical bills. Can she sue to recover $$$ for her medical bills?

First, you probably should take a look into Michigan's no fault statute:

http://www.a2lawyer.com/articles/inj...ird_party.html

The other driver probably has a deductable on her insurance, and if you sue, she certainly can sue you for her deductible, and injuries.

Attornies offer free consultation, and if I were you, have the particulars reviewed to see if it is advisable to even bring a suit.

Bear in mind that "no fault" came about because in most accidents, it's always the "other guy's fault", and monies that should have been spent for pain and suffering is instead spent on proving "it's the other guy".

Quote Quoting longhungjohn33
    View Post

she can sue you for the medical bills. Your PIP insurance is liable for the medical injuries in your vehicle.

So it has been over 2 weeks since the car accident I was involved in and the officer STILL has not submitted the police report. Myself and my insurance company are growing very impatient. I have gone down to the Police station on several occasions requesting answers and get the run around.

Can I get a court order REQUIRING the officer complete his report so that I can receive a copy? If so, how?

How do I go about filing a complaint against the officer and/or police department?

Default Re: Accident at a 4-Way Stop in Michigan

rather than going in like a bull in a China shop, ask to speak with the precinct captain or who ever is in charge of the department and ask them when you might expect the report.

You know, the sugar and vinegar thing.

You can pay an attorney to go to court to try and do anything you want.

I agree with JK, you need to pursue this through the officer's command, not through the court. It will be expensive, and a judge is not likely to order anyone to write a report. If you do that, you are likely to get a report that is worthless because if the officer completes it under the gun, he may well write nothing relevant at all - certainly nothing that will benefit you and yours.

Now, on 3-12 you wrote that the police report does not say you are 50% at fault ... if no report has been written, how do you know what it says???

Understand that the insurance companies do not have to go by the police report anyway. So, you might consider proceeding with whatever you are going to do even without a police report.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

Ok so I "finally" got a copy of the police report...almost 3 weeks later. All the report says is that we came to a four way stop, waited for our turn and then went through the intersection. The other vehicle did a rolling stop and struck out vehicle. (The front end of HER car struck the middle passenger side of MY car). The other lady stated that we did a rolling stop and struck her vehicle...how the officer thought this was even possible is beyond me. She did not receive a citation or anything from the accident.

Is this strong enough evidence to sue her? I mean the FRONT of her CAR hit the MIDDLE PASSENGER side of my car (we were already halfway through the intersection), it's obviously her fault...unless my car was traveling sideways down the intersection...

Should I wait to file a complaint against the officer until after this is settled or just do it now?

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast