Default Caught Shoplifting in Vermont

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Vermont. I am a 21 year old university student, and I was caught shoplifting at a Khols in Vermont. This is the first time I have been caught shoplifting. The police were called in and took my information and finger printed me. The value of the goods I took was $69. I was stopped just after leaving the store and I immediately confessed and was cooperative. I was given a mandatory date to appear in court (end of July) and I plan to hire a lawyer. The police officer said that he was recomending me to a program in which I would do community service or something instead of going to court (is this a diversion program?), but that he could not guarantee that this would be an option. What are the chances that I am able to do a program such as this? Is there any way that I could increase that chance? Is it possible to have some sort of settlement without going to court? If I do end up going to court what are the chances that I could end up with jail time for a first (and last) time offence?

Default Re: Caught Shoplifting in Vermont

Almost no one goes to prison for a first shoplifting offense.

Diversion will be instead of prison... not court.

Your best chance of increasing this outcome is by obtaining the services of an attorney.

You will also receive a civil demand in the mail for several hundred dollars. This amount is due above and beyond any fees levied against you by the court.

In Vermont the Civil Restitution amount is not less than $25. nor more than $300. The retailers is allowed to charge twice the amount of the theft - in your case you can expect a fine of about $170.00.

Thanks. I have a follow question: if I end up with probation, how long would probation normally last? a year? 6 months?

Quote Quoting chicky
    View Post
    Thanks. I have a follow question: if I end up with probation, how long would probation normally last? a year? 6 months?
    It depends on the individual court.

1. Sponsored Links