Default What Exactly Restarts the Statute of Limitations (SOL) in Florida

The debtor resides in Florida. Did the debtor's statement restart the SOL clock?

As background, I have a signed promissory note that is older than 5 years old, which I believe is the SOL in FL. Fast forward to late last year where I emailed the debtor reiterating the terms from our promissory note (outstanding balance, monthly agreement) in an attempt to work out a new repayment plan.

In his reply, he does not dispute any of the promissory note terms and states that "I will call you tonight so we can establish a plan for you to be paid back ... I am going to make payments to you"

Did this statement restart the SOL clock? If not, what exactly needs to happen in FL for a SOL clock to get reset?

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: What Exactly Restarts the Statute of Limitations (SOL) in Florida

Someone else might chime in but I think the only thing that should restart the SOL would be making a payment or partial payment on the account.

I believe it goes by the date of last activity on the account and many people make the mistake of making a payment close to the SOL being up and that will restart the SOL.

I hope I am correct but someone I am sure will know the Florida laws on this matter.

That's my understanding as well. But the SOL in Florida is 4 years.

A written, signed promise to repay a debt that is otherwise barred by the statute of limitations is enforceable.
    Quote Quoting Florida Statutes, Sec. 95.04 Promise to pay barred debt.
    An acknowledgment of, or promise to pay, a debt barred by a statute of limitations must be in writing and signed by the person sought to be charged.
    I have not researched the degree to which his placing his name on an email could be construed as a "signature".

Thank you everyone; does anyone know where I could try and find if an email alone vs an old fashioned letter + signature held up in court? I mean, I know fake courts like Judge Judy will recognize emails as binding (ie probably arbitrators also do in real life) but have no clue about real courts.

You can research case law on sites such as LexisOne and Google Scholar.

1. Sponsored Links