Default Will I Qualify for Unemployment

I live in NY and after being unemployed for many months I finally found a job, unfortunately it lays off at the end of June for a couple of months. Everyone who works there receives unemployment during the summer.

I either am not home during the hours unemployment takes calls or simply cannot get through to someone when I am able to call, so I'm hoping someone might know.

According to unemployment's eligibility it says you must make a certain amount (I'll easily fall within that) and it says you must be EMPLOYED IN 2 out OF 4 QUARTERS (not that you must be working for a total 2 quarters, but "employed in" 2 quarters). One quarter ends on 3/31 and another starts 4/1... I was required to go through 3 days of paid training on Mon. 3/29, Tue. 3/30 & Wed. 3/31 (bare minimum they could probably get away with, I think $6/hr, but hey it's better than "on your time") then off that Thursday and Friday, and started in my current position at the full rate of pay on the Monday 4/6 following Easter Sunday.

The NYS unemployment website also describes "work" (I think in regards to what must be reported by people who receive benefits, but still it's their definitional of what work is) and this included any training for employment, paid or unpaid.

So I was (will be) employed (according to the NYS definition of work) in 2 quarters, so will I get unemployment or will I be screwed for the summer? I know no one can actually tell me but unemployment, but I'm hoping someone may know from experience.

Default Re: Will I Qualify for Nys Unemployment

Dates please.

When did your original claim start?
    When did you go back to work?
    When will this gig end?

Default Re: Will I Qualify for Nys Unemployment

No original clai, this would be the original claim. (I got unemployment maybe 4-5 years ago when the business I was working for closed if that matters.)

As I stated in my post I recieved paid training Mon. 3/29, Tue. 3/30 & Wed. 3/31, was off the rest of the week and started in my current position at the full rate of pay the Tuesday following Easter Sunday which was 4/6.

My last day before the layoff will roughly be Friday 6/25...

Default Re: Will I Qualify for Unemployment

I think you also must earn at least XX amount in the base period. Plus, it's based on the quarter in which the unemployment wage detail is reported, which is the quarter in which the wages are paid. In no case are they going to look at wages paid in the same quarter in which you file, because the quarter is not over yet.

You have nothing to lose by filing, but I would not be optimistic.

Ah thanks for pointing that out... I may just wait a week after I'm unemployed at the end of June until the new quarter starts July 1st... I just found out I can use the quarter I was employed in as my base period, I just have to wait until the quarter ends.

"If you do not qualify in any of the above base periods, you have employment in the calendar quarter in which you filed, you are still unemployed after that quarter ends, and you think that you may qualify using this most recent employment, you should apply again for benefits after the current calendar quarter ends."

Can't hurt, might help.

1. Sponsored Links