Default Can I Be Forced to Care for Elderly Abusive Parent

I'm in Georgia.

I am an only child in my 40's with a husband and kids of my own. My parents are abusive and dishonest (lying to cops to shift blame for Dad's illegal driving onto me, screaming, death threat, abuse of my credit and identity since I was a teenager, running up many debts in my name, etc.)

After four attempts at counseling with them, I have finally come to the conclusion that they will never change, and my only option is to pray for them from a (significant) distance.

My concern in this post is my future liability to them. I am an only child. They are horribly irresponsible financially, and have stolen from me in many ways to cover their own financial idiocies.

Assuming they continue on their idiotic path, they may well lose their home (again). Also, they are in their 70's now. If they put themselves out on the street again, can I be forced to take them into my home? Pay their bills? Etc.?

Honestly, after the last time I took them into my home after they lost their house, if my alternative is jail this time, I will take jail. I'm not living in looneyland ever again. I just want to be left alone by these people.

What is my legal responsibility to elderly abusive parents? I've had basically no relationship with them for nearly 10 years.

Thanks,

GeorgiaGirl

Arrow Re: Can I Be Forced to Care for Elderly Abusive Parent

You have no legal obligations to care for them in any manner.

Default Re: Can I Be Forced to Care for Elderly Abusive Parent

Given your references to them racking up debt in your name, I'd be sure to be checking your credit report with the 3 major agencies regularly.

Default Re: Can I Be Forced to Care for Elderly Abusive Parent

Hi,
    Sorry you are dealing with that.

No, you have no obligation to take care of them. You have no obligation to even give them your address or phone number.

PS: No, they will not change. In fact, they will grow meaner. From experience.

1. Sponsored Links