Default Do I Need a Lawyer For a Paternity Case

My question involves paternity law for the State of: Ohio

After finding out my possible 16 year old son is in the state of Ohio's custody and in foster care I have asked for a paternity test. His state case worker filled out the paperwork today and said I should hear when to show up for my test by mail.

I've never dealt with anything like this so I don't know what to expect and it feels like his case worker is avoiding answering my questions. Do I need to hire a lawyer now? If so do I need one in Ohio? Should I expect the state to come after me for child support if I'm proven to be the father? Do I have any rights to try to bring him to live with me so he's not in foster care?

Sorry for all the questions but that's not even 1% of what goes through my head every hour. This is driving me nuts so please give me any advise that could help.

Default Re: Do I Need a Lawyer Yet

Where exactly is Mom?

Quote Quoting Dogmatique
    View Post
    Where exactly is Mom?
    She's in Ohio but her husband wont let him come home. The county has been after her to take him back but because she doesn't work they can't make her pay. I've just recently talk to his mom for the first time in 17 years but I don't think I'm getting the whole story. She seems to be OK with me bringing him to live with me but I don't know if the State/county is going to be OK with it.

Is there already a legally established father? This is you requesting the paternity test, not the State, correct?

It matters.

Quote Quoting Dogmatique
    View Post
    Is there already a legally established father? This is you requesting the paternity test, not the State, correct?

It matters.

Yes there is a father that's legally established. He hasn't had anything to do with the boy but he signed the birth certificate and that makes him the father by law correct?

I requested to send him a test but the county said they had to do the test for it to be legal. His case worker has now sent in the paperwork for the county to test us.

Is that the info your looking for?

1. Sponsored Links