Default Revised IRS Form 1040x Confusion

I am going to submit an amended tax return ( 1040X ) for tax year 2009. I forgot to claim the Making Work Pay tax credit ( schedule M ). Because of this mistake, I overpaid my federal income tax by $400. I'm filing the 1040X in order to get that $400 overpayment refunded to me. I find the revised 1040X form confusing. The 1040X chart instructions ( refundable credits section ) tells me to start at line 10. In other words, leave lines 1 thru 9 blank ? Does that sound right ? Also, do I enter the taxes that I paid with my original 1040 on line 15 ? The 1040X form indicates to do so but the instructions for line 15 don't make this clear.

Thanks much for any help.

Default Re: Revised IRS Form 1040x Confusion

Quote Quoting SOCA
    View Post
    I am going to submit an amended tax return ( 1040X ) for tax year 2009. I forgot to claim the Making Work Pay tax credit ( schedule M ). Because of this mistake, I overpaid my federal income tax by $400. I'm filing the 1040X in order to get that $400 overpayment refunded to me. I find the revised 1040X form confusing. The 1040X chart instructions ( refundable credits section ) tells me to start at line 10. In other words, leave lines 1 thru 9 blank ? Does that sound right ? Also, do I enter the taxes that I paid with my original 1040 on line 15 ? The 1040X form indicates to do so but the instructions for line 15 don't make this clear.

Thanks much for any help.
    How long ago did you submit your original return? I have seen the IRS correct a few returns on their own.

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post
    How long ago did you submit your original return? I have seen the IRS correct a few returns on their own.
    I submitted my 1040 on 3/30/10. My check was paid on 4/5/10. What do you think my strategy should be ? BTW, re: filling out the revised 1040X, a chart in the instructions tells me to fill in lines 10 thru 22 " if you are changing only payments and refundable credits ". That's what the Making Work Pay credit ( schedule M ) is, correct ? Apparently, line 1 thru 9 info isn't necessary as it's not in dispute and the IRS can retrieve it from my 1040 if needed ? Also, Line 15 would have to be the line where I enter the income tax that I just paid ? I see nowhere else ?

Thanks much for any help in clarifying thse issues.

Quote Quoting SOCA
    View Post
    I submitted my 1040 on 3/30/10. My check was paid on 4/5/10. What do you think my strategy should be ? BTW, re: filling out the revised 1040X, a chart in the instructions tells me to fill in lines 10 thru 22 " if you are changing only payments and refundable credits ". That's what the Making Work Pay credit ( schedule M ) is, correct ? Apparently, line 1 thru 9 info isn't necessary as it's not in dispute and the IRS can retrieve it from my 1040 if needed ? Also, Line 15 would have to be the line where I enter the income tax that I just paid ? I see nowhere else ?

Thanks much for any help in clarifying thse issues.
    I think that you should wait another 30 days or so before you file an amendment. I think its quite possible that the IRS will correct this automatically for you and that an amendment won't be necessary.

I don't do amendments by hand anymore. In fact, if someone offered to pay me extra to do an amendment by hand, I would decline to do so, LOL. I have done about 150 amendments so far this season, many of them for refundable credits and our software fills out ALL the lines, not just 10 thru 22.

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post
    I think that you should wait another 30 days or so before you file an amendment. I think its quite possible that the IRS will correct this automatically for you and that an amendment won't be necessary.

Thanks for the advice. If I submit a 1040X and the IRS happens to process an automatic correction for me will that duplicated activity cause any problem ? BTW, would the $400 refund check generated for me in this matter show up on their " Where's my Refund " link or would this type of refund be handled separately ?

Thanks again !

Quote Quoting SOCA
    View Post
    Thanks for the advice. If I submit a 1040X and the IRS happens to process an automatic correction for me will that duplicated activity cause any problem ? BTW, would the $400 refund check generated for me in this matter show up on their " Where's my Refund " link or would this type of refund be handled separately ?

Thanks again !
    Yes, it could definitely cause confusion if you send an amended return before you know whether or not the IRS will make the correction automatically.

No, it won't show up on "Where's my Refund?".

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post

I don't do amendments by hand anymore. In fact, if someone offered to pay me extra to do an amendment by hand, I would decline to do so, LOL. I have done about 150 amendments so far this season, many of them for refundable credits and our software fills out ALL the lines, not just 10 thru 22.
    Thanks again for the advice. I do have one concern regarding my circumstances. I've read several articles and internet posts about this particular tax credit being missed by filers. However, in most of these cases people stated that the IRS increased their original tax refund by $400 to include this tax credit that they missed. As I stated in an earlier post, I wasn't going to be getting a refund. I owed $525 which I paid when I filed my 1040. So, in my case, there wouldn't have been any pending refund to increase by $400. I've already ( over ) paid, the check has been cashed and now the IRS must claim the tax credit for me and cut me a $400 refund check. Do you think that my circumstances ( no scheduled refund ) would be handled differently or the same as those individuals scheduled to receive a refund ?

Thanks again !

Quote Quoting SOCA
    View Post
    Thanks again for the advice. I do have one concern regarding my circumstances. I've read several articles and internet posts about this particular tax credit being missed by filers. However, in most of these cases people stated that the IRS increased their original tax refund by $400 to include this tax credit that they missed. As I stated in an earlier post, I wasn't going to be getting a refund. I owed $525 which I paid when I filed my 1040. So, in my case, there wouldn't have been any pending refund to increase by $400. I've already ( over ) paid, the check has been cashed and now the IRS must claim the tax credit for me and cut me a $400 refund check. Do you think that my circumstances ( no scheduled refund ) would be handled differently or the same as those individuals scheduled to receive a refund ?

Thanks again !
    I have already answered that question at least twice.

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post
    I have already answered that question at least twice.
    llworking :
    Thanks for the previous advice re: this MWP mistake. FWIW, I phoned the IRS re: this matter. The IRS rep said that they have been inundated with phone calls re: MWP mistakes. Here's the bottom line from him : He said not to submit an amended return as the mistake will likely ( but not for certain ) be caught and corrected when my returned is processed. He doesn't have any specifics re: the refund procedure. But, he did deliver some bad news for filers like me. He said that filers who were orginally due a refund will get their MWP refund ( as an increase in original refund amt ) without much delay as these returns need to be processed right away. Filers, like myself, who weren't originally due a refund will have to wait several extra weeks to a couple of months to see a refund or receive any notification as these returns are bumped and not processed until the other returns are. For instance, he checked my return. I submitted my 1040 in late March and he told me that my return was received but probably won't be processed until sometime in June.
    If you come across any official IRS statement re: this issue please post.
    Thanks.

1. Sponsored Links