Default Cop Said I Was Going 90, GPS Showed 83

My question involves a speeding ticket from the State of: Wyoming.
    Trooper pulled me over and said I was going 90mph in a 75 zone. I said no way. I had it on cruise control set at 75. He insisted I was doing 90. I reached for the GPS and pushed the button which shows the trip totals. My trip was 3,000 miles long, my average moving speed was 60 mph over 3,000 miles of Interstate Roads with 75 mph being the norm. My GPS showed my maximum speed as 83 mph. So he wrote a citation for 83! He lied about my doing 90, I think my GPS proved that. If he lied about 90 did he have reasonable cause to stop me in the first place and then use my proof that he was wrong about the 90 and use my gps 83 maximum speed to issue the citation? I know when I was doing 83, it was in a different state, a semi truck was weaving in front of me so I sped up to get past him.

Default Re: Cop Said I Was Going 90, Gps Showed 83

He never said he was wrong, he simply wanted to avoid an argument about your speed. Never try to prove the police' case for them.

and unless your GPS has been proven in court to be accurate, the info via your GPS is meaningless.

The cop clocks in in a fraction of a second. What time intervals does your GPS use when it is timing your speed?

Default Re: Cop Said I Was Going 90, GPS Showed 83

My GPS showed that I was going a maximum speed of 83 mph for the entire 48 hours of driving, It records speeds within a second. The officer appeared to accept the GPS as accurate as that is the speed that he cited me for, not the false 90 he said he had. So he accepted the GPS as valid enough to use as evidence against me then I should be able to use the same GPS as evidence that he had no 90 reading to stop me in the first place.

He never did say he that he had me on radar or paced me.

He sure was quick to seize that 83mph number. I gave him no reason to expect any arguments from me so I don't think he was trying to avoid a confrontation, I just showed the GPS to him and said nothing.

Well, he stopped you for speeding and you are trying to use the argument that you were speeding slower than he said you were in court? Let us know how much the fine is.

Yes, you are right.

I can't prove that I was doing that speeding in Nebraska, not Wyoming, where I passed a semi truck who was weaving all over the road and I wanted to get away from him, so I passed him by going 83. But I know that's just my word and the court will assume I'm lying.

What really worries me is that I had the cruise control set at 75 and that was what I was going in Wyoming when I got stopped. This is the first ticket I got in 52 years of driving. It's not the $85.00 fine that bothers me as much as my loss of faith and trust that I have/had in police officers.

He just plain lied about my speed. Maybe they are allowed to do this. I know you aren't supposed to lie to the police- give false statements. I don't have any experience with police or tickets so I don't know for sure.

It would be nice if he did have me on radar and there was a time stamp tied into the speed reading. It would not show 90 or even 83.

=TroutScout;411233]

He just plain lied about my speed.
    what proof do you have for this claim. Unless your GPS is proven to be accurate, it is unreliable. Then, you state it pings every second. that means it averages the speed over 1 second. you can change speed a lot in 1 second so again, we are speaking about a very inaccurate system.

It would be nice if he did have me on radar and there was a time stamp tied into the speed reading. It would not show 90 or even 83.
    who said anything about a radar? You have not stated what means the officer used to determine your speed. There are a variety of methods used to determine your speed.

as to the cop not arguing about the 83 mph. It could be as simple as he clocked you at 90. you argued and showed him something that you seem to accept as what your speed was so, he may have figured since you accepted the fact you were speeding at 83 mph, it might avoid the officer having to do the court thing that might happen if he ticketed you at 90.

as well, I don't know what state you are in but maybe he figured he would save you the trouble of trying to decide if you wanted to fight the ticket. If you would have to drive a distance to appear in court, maybe he figure since you presented the 83, he would simply write the ticket at that so you would just pay the ticket.

who knows.

So, if you want to fight the ticket, fight the ticket. Be warned: your GPS evidence means nothing in court. It is not certified to be accurate so it is not dependable evidence.

I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks for the opinions.

I lost the fine but not the points.

1. Sponsored Links