Question Landlord is Trying to Charge Second Pet Deposit. Lease Doesn't State "Per Pet."

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: Minnesota

Long story short, I moved into an apartment complex a little over two years ago with one dog. The building allows up to 2 dogs per loft. I paid a $500 deposit for the pet ($300 refundable, $200 non.) 2 months ago I rescued a another puppy from the animal shelter. My landlord has seen the new dog and met him since day one. This past Friday a new "pet addendum" was slid under my door requesting a 2nd $500 deposit for the new puppy. In the deposit part of the paper, "per pet" was written in ink, and never appeared in the original lease that I signed. I scanned through the lease as well, with no mention of "per pet" deposit in there either. Landlord claims that "this is what we've always done" yet it does not appear in the lease or pet addendum. So with the place allowing 2 dogs per loft, and no mention of a "per pet" deposit anywhere, do I have a case here? If so, I know of numerous other tenants that were forced to pay 2 deposits when only one should be required. Only other thing is that they have a breed restriction, but that does not apply to me since they are both yellow labs. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Default Re: Landlord is Trying to Charge Second Pet Deposit. Lease Doesn't State "Per Pet."

If the lease provides for a specific pet deposit with no reference to a number of pets, and provides for up to two pets, it seems reasonable to interpret it as allowing up to two pets for the specified deposit. That said, I can't interpret a contract I haven't had the opportunity to read.

1. Sponsored Links