Unhappy Parking Citation

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: California

Hi everyone!

I am from Europe and recently came to California for a few days. I was unlucky and my rented car was towed by the police.

We had to go to the sheriff, pay $200 and get it. According to the guy there, this was the end of the matter as he couldn't have given us the vehicle back unless the full amount was cleared.

4 months down the road, I received a letter for the city of west hollywood saying that I owe them $85 for parking at the wrong place. But what is that? Haven't I already paid more than enough and wasn't the matter cleared? Can they arbitrarily re-calculate things like that and issue new fines for old , already paid, parking tickets? Isn't that utterly weird?

I of course opted no to care about it, because I think they are just greedy, unlawful and capitalising. However, can someone confirm that there are indeed no implications for foreign nationals avoiding these citations? As far as I can see, their jurisdiction is very limited and has nothing to do with federal law.

Thank you

Default Re: Parking Citation

It sounds like you paid your impound fee, but failed to pay the parking ticket.

Oh!! That could be right, although they knew I was on my way to the airport in a few hours and didn't ask me to pay anything else nor informed me that what I was paying for was not in fact the fine itself. Nor did I know where to go to pay that...
    I don't want to have an unpaid parking ticket anywhere in the world, but now they have more than doubled the fine and paying it would involve calling California from Europe which is messy as well.

Quote Quoting nkomp18
    View Post
    Oh!! That could be right, although they knew I was on my way to the airport in a few hours and didn't ask me to pay anything else nor informed me that what I was paying for was not in fact the fine itself. Nor did I know where to go to pay that...
    I don't want to have an unpaid parking ticket anywhere in the world, but now they have more than doubled the fine and paying it would involve calling California from Europe which is messy as well.
    The monies that you paid were due to the company that towed the vehicle and impound it until it was picked up. That is separate from the fine due for parking illegally, which in this case would have had to have been paid to the City of West Hollywood.

Rather than calling them, you maybe able to contact them via the internet for information on how to get this matter resolved. Here's a link: West Hollywood, California ~ PARKING SERVICES

1. Sponsored Links