Default HIPAA Violation

My question involves public health law in the State of: Washington

My husband works as an RN and floats between three hospitals in the same healthcare system. He was at one hospital and opened a patient’s chart at the hospital he worked at the day before. (it’s electronic charts) He took care of the patient and wanted to double check on his charting notes and see if he documented everything he should have. It was a complex case. He also wanted to see if the patient was doing OK.

Is this considered a HIPPA violation? His co-worker told him he could get fired for that. He was a direct caregiver. You are not allowed to late chart or double check your documentation? Just to clarify he took care of the patient the day before, opened the chart the next day from a different hospital in the same system. The purpose was to check his own documentation. He did not share any information. His co-worked asked him why he was still at the computer and he stated he was checking on patient from yesterday.

Default Re: Hippa Violation

I'm more familiar with HIPAA (not HIPPA) in employment situations but as I understand it, what you have described would not violate HIPAA.

However, that does not mean that your husband could not be fired IF the employer objects to his accessing the chart. It does not have to be a HIPAA violation before they can discipline him.

Obviously, I have no idea if they will have any problem with it or not.

Default Re: Hippa Violation

He needs to check with the employer's specific policies regarding the access of patient records.

Having said that, I agree with cbg. He was the direct caregiver and could have had reason to access the record for appropriate purposes.

1. Sponsored Links