Default Summons for Credit Card Debt

Hi,

I'm in FL and I was served by a processor for a the outstanding balance on an Capital one CC. "in the sum of $1208.66 that is now due with interest at the rate of 23.1000% since 11/26/2009." I know that the debt is valid and I attempted to make arrangements with the 3rd party collector but they would not negotiate and I couldn't afford the terms. I had planned to pay off the debt with my tax return which just arrived. I have been working very hard to improve my credit and I was able to settle with 2 other creditors but my credit score suffered. I was wondering if anyone could advise me on the least credit damaging and financially draining way to handle this situation. Do I call their lawyer and pay off the debt or answer the summons and go to court?

Also, does the statement "in the sum of $1208.66 that is now due with interest at the rate of 23.1000% since 11/26/2009." mean I owe $1208.66 or does it mean I owe $1208.66 plus 23.1000% interest accrued?

Thanks!

Default Re: Summons for Cc Debt - Advice

when you received your last statement,what was the balance?if it inflated to the amount you have listed now, than the interest was added.if you have the money to pay.it would be cheaper to pay the lawyer.if they get a judgment against you.then your going to have to file extra motions with the court to get it canceled.otherwise the court will record it.it will be on your credit report also.make sure if you do pay the attorney they cancel the court summons against you.get everything in writting that its paid in full.so they dont come after you later.another thing to check on.what are the statue of limitations on debt in your state that they can collect on this type of debt.some creditors try to collect on debt that they should no longer collect on,hope this all helps.

1. Sponsored Links