Default Student Loan Debt 10 Years Later

My question involves collection proceedings in the State of: North Carolina
    I recieved a paymnet book Friday March 19 and no explaination of what it was for. after contacting the company name on the book I was told they were a third party working for the College I graduated from in 1999 and that this was an outstanding Perkins loan from them. Shortly after I graduated I consolidated all my student loans including this one. after talking with the school I was told that the first two years of the loan were not included in that consolidation due to a bad social security number that was entered at the time of consolidation and that this was the amount that remained unpaid. So here ten years later me thinking all these loans are handled I am being told I have one more to pay back. My question is am I legally responsible for this amount do to there error or time that has past or should they be held resposible and have to eat the amount they say I owe?

Default Re: Student Loan Debt 10 Years Later

There is no statute of limitations on a Perkins loan, so there's no time limit on how long they can attempt to collect the money you owe.

So I have no choice in this matter they screw up and ten years later I have to pick up there tab?

It's your tab, not theirs. You borrowed the money, and the money (for whatever reason) has not been paid back.

If they are charging unreasonable interest and fees then I would probly talk with them about a compromise ont he fees as the non-payment was not intentional and you never acted in bad faith. Ultimately, though, they can stick with the written contract.

1. Sponsored Links