Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Speed Ticket in King County District Court - Mitigation vs. Contested Hearing

My question involves a speeding ticket from the State of: Washington (King County District Court)

I have read lots of posts and I think I should state my scenario to get some help.

I have my licence for about 6 months and I recently got my first speed ticket on High Way 2 East bound not so far from Stevens Pass Ski Resort. My ticket show speeding 23 MPH over limit (83 miles at 60 zone). I was nervous at the time so didn't really notice that I was ticketed 83 miles/hr. I know I might be drove up to 83 miles for about 30 sec just to pass the slow car in front of me because it has only one lane and I don't want to be block or block any one. When I was pulled over, I don't think I drove that fast and I was just at about same speed with most of car around me(if the police was radar me at the moment I stated above, he probably have to follow me for 5 mins) . I was actually trying to catch up with those faster cars group and trying to pass those slower cars group. (and I had hard time to catch up). So that's the story. I was ticket under code 46.61.400 for $206. The detect method was SMD.

My goal is to have the ticket off my record so my insurance won't go up. By the way, I am 20 years old and an international student.

So what should I do? Should I choose Mitigation or Contested Hearing? (I don't mind spend time actually but I live in Shoreline, will I need to go to a court that is far away?)

Another question is that my ticket has only one side but I see many comments said it should be two?

Thanks a lot!!

Default Re: Speed Ticket (King County District Court). Mitigation or Contested Hearing

Alright. A few questions. Were you passing the car at the time of speeding? Is there a subsection next to 46.61.400? ie: 46.61.400(1)?

I would say contest it. No matter what the circumstance is, there's always a fact that the city/state doesn't have enough evidence to prove your guilt.

At the top of the ticket is the answer to the court question. It will say: "In the King County District court of _________" most likely.

The second side of your ticket will be received when you file for discovery.

Brendan

Default Re: Speed Ticket (King County District Court). Mitigation or Contested Hearing

Quote Quoting BrendanjKeegan
    View Post
    Alright. A few questions. Were you passing the car at the time of speeding? Is there a subsection next to 46.61.400? ie: 46.61.400(1)?

I would say contest it. No matter what the circumstance is, there's always a fact that the city/state doesn't have enough evidence to prove your guilt.

At the top of the ticket is the answer to the court question. It will say: "In the King County District court of _________" most likely.

The second side of your ticket will be received when you file for discovery.

Brendan
    "Were you passing the car at the time of speeding? " Do you mean the time I was pulled over? or the time I noticed myself going over 80? There were two lanes at both circumstance. The fast cars group and I were on the left lane and those slow cars group were at the right lane.

There is only 46.61.400 without (1)

I only see King County District Court WA in full page. (by the way, the ticket is not written. I guess it's printed.) There is a court ORI# WA017173J XY0151994

and do you know what's CDL?

Thanks!!

Hmm... The fact that it doesn't have "In the court of ______" is disturbing, but not a huge factor. Does it say where to mail it? That's how far you'll be traveling. If it doesn't have the (1) you have a good argument for the court already. I would say contest.

As for the passing- Is this a four lane road? Or is it two lane?

CDL is a Commercial Driver's License. I don't think that is applicable in your case.

Brendan

Default Re: Speed Ticket in King County District Court - Mitigation vs. Contested Hearing

It said..
    Check one of the 3 boxes to the right, sign, date, and mail this form to: King County District Court WA

Court contact information:
    Phone: (206)205-9200

That's it.

It was a 3 lanes road I believe. 2 lanes for eastern bound (the direction I was) and 1 lane for western bond.

I do think of deferral but if It can be dismiss that will be even better.

Default Re: Speed Ticket in King County District Court - Mitigation vs. Contested Hearing

One more question, is it possible to deferral if I choose to contest?

Thanks!

Yes, a deferred finding is possible if you wish to contest.

Can you post the ticket? Because if it only has the phone number of the court then your ticket has an easy dismissal:

The NOI is not in compliance with IRLJ 2.1(b)(1). "The name, address, and phone number of the court where the notice of infraction is to be filed;"

Anyway. That ticket, if that number is correct, should be filed in KCDC West Division - Seattle. The location of that courthouse is
    King County Courthouse
    516 Third Ave Ste 327
    Seattle, WA 98104.

Is that too far of a drive? Even if it is, it's a super easy dismissal.

Brendan

Nope. It's not that far
    I will find a time to upload a photo of my ticket and PM you tomorrow.

Thank you so much!!

Hi Brendan

I have PM you! Thanks

After looking at your ticket I have concluded the following:

A.) A dismissal per IRLJ 2.1(b)(1) would most likely be allowed. This is because there is no court information.
    B.) A dismissal per IRLJ 2.1(b)(3) would most likely be allowed. This is because it states that the city was Shoreline on SR 2. SR 2 doesn't even go through Shoreline.
    C.) A dismissal due to a lack of subsection would probably work.

Thats it. Now you should turn in the ticket marking contested hearing and file discovery to understand the evidence against you.

Brendan

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast