Question How to Stop Mentally Disturbed Grandmother from Visiting My Children

My question involves grandparents rights in the State of: Kentucky.
    My mother-in-law has always been kinda crazy. She has no visitation with 3 of her children or grandchildren because of her behavior. Now she has pushed away the only child she has left (my husband and father of my kids) and is threatening to take us to court to get visitation rights.

She is bi-polar with some paranoid schizophrenic tendencies. She refuses to take her medicine because she believes President Obama is sending health care officials to the elderly's homes and making them take a little blue pill to kill them because they are no longer helping the economy. She clearly needs help but refuses.

She came to the park where myself and two friends and their children were playing and started screaming and yelling terrifying all the children and then threw gravel with her car and said I was lucky I was not in front of it when she took off.

We live in the same town and warned her that if she comes to our home we will have the police remove her. How do I keep her from seeing my children. I've already contacted the school and they know to NOT let her around my son. But legally what can I do?

Default Re: How to Stop Mentally Disturbed Grandmother from Visiting My Children

That's about all you can do, really - get a restraining order if she won't stay away.

She has virtually NO chance at getting visitation if you AND your husband are against it.

Default Re: How to Stop Mentally Disturbed Grandmother from Visiting My Children

I can't file a restraining order until I've had to call the police on her twice. And the threat she made towards me through my husband isn't enough to get an emergency protection order.

Quote Quoting frightenedmother
    View Post
    I can't file a restraining order until I've had to call the police on her twice. And the threat she made towards me through my husband isn't enough to get an emergency protection order.

Then all you can do really is keep doing what you're doing.

The courts are EXTREMELY reluctant to order gp visitation over the wishes of an intact family where both Mom & Dad are against the idea.

Filing will be a very expensive lesson for her to learn.

Smile Re: How to Stop Mentally Disturbed Grandmother from Visiting My Children

Thank you for your information. You have definitely eased my mind.

1. Sponsored Links