Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Is It Illegal to Log into Your Other Half's Email Account

Hello,

I was just wondering if it was illegal to log into the email account of your boyfriend if he gave you the password and checked his emails in front of you and you logged in at a later date?

Default Re: Is It Illegal to Log into Email Account of Your Other Half

Unless you had his express permission every time, yes.

Especially if the relationship has changed since you acquired the password.

Default Re: Is It Illegal to Log into Email Account of Your Other Half

Quote Quoting greylight
    View Post
    Hello,

I was just wondering if it was illegal to log into the email account of your boyfriend if he gave you the password and checked his emails in front of you and you logged in at a later date?
    It depends on the laws in your un-named state. It might also depend upon why you logged in. Certainly if you had his permission no law was broken, but if you did so to snoop about or impersonate him, then you might be breaking the law.

Default Re: Is It Illegal to Log into Your Other Half's Email Account

OK, I looked at this for AR

Intentionally, purposefully -

Computer trespass, access with damage under $2500 but over $500, class A misdemeanor; access with no damage, class C misdemeanor; access as 2nd or subsequent violation with loss or damage under $500, class B misdemeanor; unlawful computerized communication, class A misdemeanor; computer fraud, class D felony

Taken from Computer Crime Laws.

Now if I logged into my boyfriends email account and didn't do anything, even though he has given me his password it would be a Class C misdemeanor?

I will say this as plainly as I can.

Unless you have prior consent - preferably in writing - you cannot access his account... even just to read his emails.

That is illegal.

Don't do it.

Stop.

Quote Quoting greylight
    View Post
    OK, I looked at this for AR

Intentionally, purposefully -

Computer trespass, access with damage under $2500 but over $500, class A misdemeanor; access with no damage, class C misdemeanor; access as 2nd or subsequent violation with loss or damage under $500, class B misdemeanor; unlawful computerized communication, class A misdemeanor; computer fraud, class D felony

Taken from Computer Crime Laws.

Now if I logged into my boyfriends email account and didn't do anything, even though he has given me his password it would be a Class C misdemeanor?
    A case could be made that it is unlawful, yes.

Safest bet - do NOT do it. If you do not trust him, then the relationship is already broken and it is time to move on.

OK, well I have asked two Lawyers about this and they said that by my boyfriend sitting next to me and telling me his email password as he went onto his account and opening up emails in front of me is giving me Implied Consent. Also by him giving me his email password his expectation of privacy would be pretty low with respect to emails. Despite this I am not going to be looking anymore even though he has given me implied consent.

Quote Quoting greylight
    View Post
    OK, well I have asked two Lawyers about this and they said that by my boyfriend sitting next to me and telling me his email password as he went onto his account and opening up emails in front of me is giving me Implied Consent. Also by him giving me his email password his expectation of privacy would be pretty low with respect to emails. Despite this I am not going to be looking anymore even though he has given me implied consent.
    Ask the two lawyers you are paying for their services if him sitting next to you one time gives you forever access into his account.

Even after you have broken up.

Quote Quoting greylight
    View Post
    Even if true, this is hardly a ringing endorsement for it being lawful. This would be the defense argument, but is searching e-mail really worth a criminal charge and $5,000 or so in attorney's fees? I doubt it.

Yeahh I guess I just did it because I wondered if he was telling me the truth about what his password to his emails was and logged in and then straight out again, didn't do anything in his account.
    Hmm I wonder how many people have been put in jail for doing what I did? I don't want to goto jail for that I am so sorry. I would hate jail, I haven't been able to eat or sleep since, I really don't want to goto jail.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast