Default Choosing The Last Name of My Child

Im having a baby with my ex boyfriend were seprated and both have moved on. If i give our child his last name can he take it from me, and do i have to put him on the birth certifficut to get him to pay childsupport? What rights does he have by me putting him on the birth certfficut and using his last name?

Default Re: Choosing The Last Name of My Child

You have the right to name the child Bill Gates III if you wish - and Dad has the right to file in court to establish paternity, visitation and child support, and to petition the court and request kiddo's name be hyphenated to include his.

Putting his name on the birth certificate and/or using his last name does not confer him any rights - he'll still need to go to court to establish visitation etc.

You will need to establish paternity legally before you can get child support.

Quote Quoting Dogmatique
    View Post
    You have the right to name the child Bill Gates III if you wish - and Dad has the right to file in court to establish paternity, visitation and child support, and to petition the court and request kiddo's name be hyphenated to include his.

Putting his name on the birth certificate and/or using his last name does not confer him any rights - he'll still need to go to court to establish visitation etc.

You will need to establish paternity legally before you can get child support.
    Just to clarify, the father also has the right to request kiddos last name be only his last name.
    It isn't always ordered, but TN is in the south and it happens alot more often in the south, especially for an infant.

Quote Quoting Xena
    View Post
    Just to clarify, the father also has the right to request kiddos last name be only his last name.
    It isn't always ordered, but TN is in the south and it happens alot more often in the south, especially for an infant.

Excellent point.

Officially across the country from where I've been all my life

And further, mom can't PUT anyone's name on the child's birth certificate but her's and the child's. If HIS name is to appear, he would have to sign an AOP to do so. Unless that happens, kiddo has no father.
    If you wanted babies all to yourself, you should have created them by yourself. Until you do that, children have the right to BOTH parents, especially since you found them suitable to procreate with.

1. Sponsored Links