Default Employer retaliation / discrimination

Last summer I had a "slip and fall" at work, split my head open, suffered a concussion, and post-concussive syndrome. I also had to have speech therapy for 4 months due to cognitive dysfunction and since the injury, I have sufferred from severe migraines. In spite of all the work missed for treatment, I maintained full duties at work (my boss actually increased my duties during the the time that I was having the most treatment) and kept an "exceeds standards" work performance rating-even though I still struggle with the headache pain and it takes a lot more effort to do the same level of work that was once easy for me. My question is this: since the injury, I have been turned down for 8 promotional opportunities that I was well -qualified for, with no good explanation-is this retaliation or discrimination? I have an attorney, and was recently rated permanent partial 3% by the work comp Dr. Is this something that can considered in the inevitable lawsuit?

Default Re: Employer retaliation / discrimination

When you say "well qualified" do you mean without consideration of your disabilities resulting from the injury?

Qualified before AND after the injury, according to experience and performance on the job both prior to and since the injury.

Then it may be discrimination, or it may be something else. Has your boss ever given you an explanation?

No explanation, they don't have to tell you why you weren't chosen. I work for a state agency, and any other department that I apply to has access to my leave balances, and can easily see that they are low. But of course, they can also easily find out "off the record" that I have a claim. I recently applied for a different job with a different company, and one of the people that will make the hiring decision will tell me if she is told that I have a work comp claim. If she is told that, then do I need to follow up with an attorney other than the one I have for my work comp claim?

Try discussing your situation with your comp lawyer and see what he says, or if he thinks you should consult with an employment lawyer.

Thank you for your help, my work comp attorney did say that he thought I had a good case for discrimination, so now I am looking for an employment attorney. The work comp case is now settled, but I have lifetime re-opening, and lifetime medication coverage. By the way, in an earlier post, I mentioned applying for a position with a non-state agency that my friend works for; to follow up on that, I was offered and accepted that position. Naturally, once I gave to notice to my current employer, the abuse has stepped up quite a bit.

Again, I thank you, and if you know where I might find an employment attorney in Northern Nevada, I would certainly appreciate it.

1. Sponsored Links