Unhappy Car Break-in

My question involves damages that occurred in the state of: California

Hello,

At my apartment, included in the price of rent is access to the gated garage. The last few weeks the gate itself has been malfunctioning, staying open for hours, if not the whole night. I was worried my car would get broken into, and then it did, along with 3 other neighbors' cars. My GPS and iPod were stolen, and the passenger window was broken. The car insurance would only take responsibility for the window, and there was a $250 deductable on a $150 repair, so it was essentially no good. I feel the real estate company/owner should reimburse me for my losses, the manager of the building claims they're not responsible. Any second opinions?

-James Goux

Default Re: Car Break-in

Quote Quoting JamesAG
    View Post

Hello,

At my apartment, included in the price of rent is access to the gated garage. The last few weeks the gate itself has been malfunctioning, staying open for hours, if not the whole night. I was worried my car would get broken into, and then it did, along with 3 other neighbors' cars. My GPS and iPod were stolen, and the passenger window was broken. The car insurance would only take responsibility for the window, and there was a $250 deductable on a $150 repair, so it was essentially no good. I feel the real estate company/owner should reimburse me for my losses, the manager of the building claims they're not responsible. Any second opinions?

-James Goux
    Usually, complexes that rent out parking garage spaces are smart enough to write into the leases that they are not responsible, so you would have to dig out your lease and take a look.

Some years ago, my wife's car was stolen out of a basement garage with a malfactioning garage door, I sought free consultation through my local bar association, the attorney I was referred to ask me to take along my lease for the conference. I went, he took a look, shook his head and told me I had no case.

I wondered out loud about going to small claims, but he pointed out I will lose the case, waste my time, and be stuck with the landlords legal fees, so I lost about $1,000, the deductable for the stolen car. He also told me it would not be a case he'd be handling.

BTW, if you were saying you had a bad feeling, you'd be asked in court, if you sue, why you left your i-pod and GPS in your car. I'm wondering about that too. I park my car in my own driveway, and I always insist my girls take the i-pod's back into the house, and I dismount the GPS, and take it back in, precisely because it could be stolen. My wife got into a shouting match with my daughter just the other day over her insistence that she can leave the i-pod in the car for a short while since we'll be going back out again, as she may forget.

We told her it'll take a few seconds for a car thief to break open the car, and steal it.

Default Re: Car Break-in

Quote Quoting JamesAG
    View Post

Hello,

-James Goux
    If you had this gut feeling why didn't you take your valuables out of the car? They may not just have did a smash and grab if they didn't see the GPS or its mounting bracket.

1. Sponsored Links