Default Detained by store employee for shoplifting; no police came

I was detained at a store by one of the employees, actually she asked to look in my bag and I did have a pair of pants in there that I had brought to exchange but decided not to. She claimed I stole them, etc. etc. After everything that was said, because I had no proof that I had brought them in and it was her word against mine, they let me go. They didn't take pictures, contact police, ban me from the store, etc. But approximately a week later I received a letter from the local Police Departments Warrant Office stating I had 10 days to come down and turn me in. How can they do this if I was not even prosecuted or there was no police involvement?

They filed a police report, and a prosecutor authorized a criminal charge. They don't have to contact the police while you are still present.

How can they charge me when they have no proof other than word against word? They have no evidence.

Granted the burden of proof is on them but if you can prove them wrong it will be dropped. Look for your receipt, a debit card statement or charge card statement how ever you paid for it. If you find it take that to the cop shop on the date they told you and it might be over with. If you can't show proof of purchase you may need to get a lawyer.

1. Sponsored Links