Default Insurance for Dog Bites

My question involves a condominium located in the State of: California
    Can the HOA Board require dog owners to carry a million dollar liability insurance on their dogs?

Default Re: Insurance for Dog Bites

Quote Quoting dc9
    View Post
    My question involves a condominium located in the State of: California
    Can the HOA Board require dog owners to carry a million dollar liability insurance on their dogs?

It all depends on the bylaws of the HOA as to whether the board can impose such a requirement.

I was a condo owner, and honestly, where I lived, many dog owners do not abide by the rules. The dog rules specifically called for owning of dogs small enough to be carried by the owners, and when in public areas, to be on a leash.

Yet, I see huge dogs not on leashes running loose in the common areas. I don't recall of such an insurance requirement where I was, but I'll be darned if I have to report every instance of dogs too large to be carried, and carry a camera to record every instance of owners not having dogs on leashes.

And if there is no "dog police" out there, if my condo does not have such a requirement, coming to think of it, they should have one. The HOA should balance the rights of dog owners vs the non-dog owners.

There are some breeds that insurance companies would not cover. I've seen pit-bulls in condo situations, and I'll be darned if my child gets seriously injured by one, the dog owner is going to express amazement that his wonderful dog would do such a thing. If there was insurance, I'm sure the dog owner is going to be a lot more careful.

Default Re: Insurance for Dog Bites

Quote Quoting SChinFChin
    View Post
    It all depends on the bylaws of the HOA as to whether the board can impose such a requirement.

I was a condo owner, and honestly, where I lived, many dog owners do not abide by the rules. The dog rules specifically called for owning of dogs small enough to be carried by the owners, and when in public areas, to be on a leash.

Yet, I see huge dogs not on leashes running loose in the common areas. I don't recall of such an insurance requirement where I was, but I'll be darned if I have to report every instance of dogs too large to be carried, and carry a camera to record every instance of owners not having dogs on leashes.

And if there is no "dog police" out there, if my condo does not have such a requirement, coming to think of it, they should have one. The HOA should balance the rights of dog owners vs the non-dog owners.

There are some breeds that insurance companies would not cover. I've seen pit-bulls in condo situations, and I'll be darned if my child gets seriously injured by one, the dog owner is going to express amazement that his wonderful dog would do such a thing. If there was insurance, I'm sure the dog owner is going to be a lot more careful.
    Further, most HOA bylaws state that the board can make reasonable rules for the association, and this would be considered a reasonable rule.

1. Sponsored Links