Hybrid View

Question "Detention and Removal" Notice by Mistake - How to Get Clearance from DHS

Recently I attended a visa interview at the US consulate in India along with my children and they mentioned that there are "Detention and Removal" notices against us by DHS (in Dec 2009) and need to get the clearance from DHS to get our visas approved.

We had been in the US before and had conditional green cards (I-551) endorsed in our passports during Feb 2007. But we had to return to India, 3 days after our I-551 stamping, due to a medical emergency. I have been living/working in India for the past 3 years.

Unfortunately the departure records from US to India were not updated properly (maybe due to the short gap between the endorsement and return travel) and when I went for my employment visa last week, they mentioned there are "Dention and Removal" notices against us by DHS since we did not remove the conditions on our conditional green card. The US consular officials in India asked me to get the clearance from DHS to get our visas approved. How do I proceed to get this clearance? This is an administrative issue and we have not overstayed in the US.

Default Re: "Detention and Removal" Notice by Mistake - How to Get Clearance from DHS

This may help:
    Quote Quoting I am experiencing problems when I enter the United States
    If you believe that you are having problems entering the United States due to incorrect arrival and departure information, you can request a review of the information by writing to the following office.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP)
    Office of Public Affairs
    Customer Service Center, Room 3.4A
    1300 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W.
    Washington, DC 20229

Tel: (703) 526-4200 (U.S.)
    08:30 - 5:00 Eastern Time

It is necessary for you to submit evidence of your departure from the United States. The evidence that can be considered can come from a variety of sources, including but not limited to:

• Original boarding passes you used to depart the United States;
    • Entry or departure stamps in your passport to indicate you entered another country after you departed the United States (please copy all passport ages that are not completely blank and include the biographic page containing your photograph);
    • Dated pay slips or vouchers from your employer to indicate that you worked in another country after you departed the United States;
    • Dated bank records showing transactions in your home country to indicate that you were in another country after your left the United States;
    • School records showing your attendance at a school outside the United States to indicate you were in another country after you left the United States;
    • Dated credit card receipts with the credit card number deleted for purchases you made after you departed the United States to indicate you were in another country after you left the United States.

Please send legible copies or the original material where possible. If you send original materials please retain a copy for your records; the originals will not be returned to you.
    I'm assuming you entered on your Green Card; if you in fact were issued an I-94 on entry, the instructions are different (but are also described on the page linked above).

1. Sponsored Links