Default Re-Entering the U.S. with an Arrest Record but No Conviction

Hello, I am a green card holder and was charged with petty theft about 2 months ago in Illinois (1st time ever, misdemeanor up to 364 days in jail). On my court date, I didn't have to plea to anything and the judge dismissed the case on the spot for lack of evidence/witnesses.

My question is: since I still have an arrest record which is a CIMT but no conviction at all, do I still have a chance of being deported? I am traveling abroad in a few weeks and I'm scared to death of re-entering the country. Also, what kind of documents should I bring to prove that I'm not a convicted criminal?

Please help, I am really scared.

Default Re: Re-Entering the U.S. with an Arrest Record but No Conviction

It's a CIMT, but with a maximum punishment of less than a year in jail, so even if you were convicted it should fall under the petty offense exception. And you say that your charge was flat-out dismissed. There should be a disposition sheet in the court file - how about getting a certified copy from the court?

Thank you for your answer. I just got my disposition paper yesterday and it says "stricken off with leave to reinstate". I was a little suprised because the judge used the word "dismissed" and now my disposition says "stricken off". The clerk told me it means the same as dismissed and I should just present my paper in case I'm questioned by the immigration agent. My question is, I don't know if the immigration would consider that a still open case, since it can be reinstated, or if they would actually consider it dismissed?

They would consider it dismissed.

To be specific though, there are two types of dismissal; the kind you got and a dismissal with prejudice. A dismissal with prejudice can not be re-filed.

Although the state could correct their witness/evidence problems and recharge you, that virtually never happens with a misdemeanor.

You can't be deported for that. Actually the US is so incompetent at deporting illegal aliens, I can't imagine they would care about a dismissed charge. I know an illegal alien who has been arrested on several misdemeanor charges and he hasn't even been deported or held on immigration charges.

1. Sponsored Links