Default Shoplifting first offense

Yesterday, I got caught (on camera) for shoplifting for the amount of $414.00 in the State of California. They took me down to the police station and fingerprinted me. I post bail $2,000.00 and I have an Arraignment in June. This is my first offense. When the Loss Prevention Unit officer at the store asked me why I did it - I told her that I have been unemployed and desperate for money. I have 2 children & separated from my husband. There is no child support in place yet.

My intention for going to the store is to apply for a job but I left all my identification at home so I changed my mind. They said that my intent is to steal because the contents of my bag were 2 sheets of chuck that I used when I took the bus to protect my clothing when I sit down.

My concerns are: This is my first offense. I am about to take the LVN State board and a felony of misdemeanor will not allow me to become an LVN in the State. How do I plead? Should I take classes to show the court that I am doing something to resolve this problem? Is it wise to hire a public defender since I can't afford to hire a private attorney.

Thank you for your anticipated response.

P.S.
    I took several more merchandise that were of much higher value but I changed my mind and left it in the store (intact) & in the shopping cart. They asked me why I changed my mind taking those merchandise. I told them that I don't have the intent of getting rich but to survive for immediate needs.

Default Re: Shoplifting first offense

If you are trying to avoid a conviction, yes, request a public defender. If you plead guilty you will be convicted of the charge.

1. Sponsored Links