Default Unemployment Denied Because of College

My question involves unemployment benefits for the state of: KY

I worked this past year and I am temporarily laid off because I work in tourism. I was laid off on Jan 22 and will go back March 15. I filed my unemployment on the 22 and I was given a date to start requesting my checks. I have done so twice now and my checks have not been sent out. It took me two trips to my local office to see why I was given credit for weeks claimed but not given a check. Apparently it's because I'm a college student. I go to school 13 hours this semester. I have went to school the entire time I worked for my employer and carried 18 hours the previous two semesters. Even during the summer semesters I was full time at school. I worked full time in summer and part time in fall/winter. They said it would take approx. six weeks to investigate. Do people ever get denied unemployment because they go to school? It is obvious, and I explained it on my appication, that I was able to work and go to school full time. I put my schedule on my application which is 9-3 on Moday and 9-12 on Wednesday and Thursday. I have plenty of time to work full time plus I was let go because I'm seasonal and it was no fault of mine. If it takes longer than six weeks what can I do to push it? By the time I get my back pay, if I get it, I'll be back at work. I don't even know why they care if I'm a definite call back and it's in my file that I'm getting called back.

Default Re: Unemployment Denied Because of College

Typically, Unemployment wants you to be available for work 24/7/365. They see your time in school as time you are not available to work.

It's always best to take classes online or at night when possible.

Quote Quoting johnb123
    View Post
    It's always best to take classes online or at night when possible.
    I'm not a vocational school student. I've been in school two years and am working toward a bachelors degree. My classes aren't offered online. Night school? My professors work a 9-5. That's how it goes because I'm not going for welding or something else that is piddly. I worked for my employer and went to school. I don't see how it's not obvious that I was able to do both. So, the question was really will they always deny people because of school or just depends on the situation? My friend at work got hers approved and she is in college the same amount of hours and didn't lie about it.

I guess it depends on who you talk to. Online or night classes are for degrees too. Didn't they have the same classes offered at other times with other professors?

1. Sponsored Links