Default 22100(A) in California

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: California

hello i just got a ticket for V.C. 22100(a) impoper right turn?

i was wondering how much this ticket would be?

i was in lane 1 in a 2 lane street when i made the right turn.

i was wondering if i could fight this ticket because i merged into lane 2 for a two seconds before i made the right turn and my i didnt make the turn in one solid motion.

Default Re: 22100(A) in California

Quote Quoting lazykrnboi
    View Post
    i was wondering how much this ticket would be?
    Fine should be around $211

Quote Quoting lazykrnboi
    View Post
    i was in lane 1 in a 2 lane street when i made the right turn.

i was wondering if i could fight this ticket because i merged into lane 2 for a two seconds before i made the right turn and my i didnt make the turn in one solid motion.
    Here's the CVC section you were cited with:
    22100. Except as provided in Section 22100.5 or 22101, the driver of any vehicle intending to turn upon a highway shall do so as follows:
    (a) Right Turns. Both the approach for a right-hand turn and a right-hand turn shall be made as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway except:
    (1) Upon a highway having three marked lanes for traffic moving in one direction that terminates at an intersecting highway accommodating traffic in both directions, the driver of a vehicle in the middle lane may turn right into any lane lawfully available to traffic moving in that direction upon the roadway being entered.
    (2) If a right-hand turn is made from a one-way highway at an intersection, a driver shall approach the turn as provided in this subdivision and shall complete the turn in any lane lawfully available to traffic moving in that direction upon the roadway being entered.
    (3) Upon a highway having an additional lane or lanes marked for a right turn by appropriate signs or markings, the driver of a vehicle may turn right from any lane designated and marked for that turning movement.

So as I see it, and based on how I read the statute, your "I was in the right lane for 2 seconds before the turn" sounds like a pretty weak defense. Add the first statement that you made: "i was in lane 1 in a 2 lane street when i made the right turn" weakens your defense even further. It will all depend on what the officer saw and how he will testify.

File/serve an "informal discovery request" and get a copy of the officer's notes. That should give you an idea on how he will testify... If I were to take a guess, he will say that you started your turn in the #1 lane, thereby meeting the element(s) of the offense that your movement was in violation of the code with which you were cited.

In other words, there are 2 elements of the offense here:
    1. To approach the turn from -as close as practicable- to the right edge of the roadway... AND
    2. To make the actual turning movement from -as close as practicable- to the right edge of the roadway.

... And while you version of what happened sounds pretty shady as far as fulfilling #2 (your turning movement started from the left lane), you did not fulfill #1.

Good luck!

1. Sponsored Links