Default Social Security and Birth Certificate Have Different Last Name

I live in FL and my social has a different last name than my birth certificate. When I was born my mother hadn't given the hospital a name. They called my grandmother, who gave them her married last name instead of her maiden name, which is the last name of my brothers father and is of no relation to me whatsoever.
    I am 19 turning 20 and was not made aware of the situation until my mother threw me out of the house. I have absolutely no idea how to fix this. I cant go to school or get a license. My only form of identification is an expired student ID and a military ID that will expire in a year. Once thats gone, I will have no valid ID whatsoever.
    When I asked my mother how she even obtained a social with a different last name she told me she thought it would correct the situation, so she MADE them put her maiden name. All its really done is cause problems because now I'm a year behind in school.
    What would be the least costly way to fix this? I researched a legal name change, but I have to petition the court. That requires a list of all the places I've lived which I've been waiting for my mother to give me and she hasn't. I haven't looked into ammending my birth certificate, but I was born in NY so does that mean I have to fly there?
    I'm tired of being behind in school and relying on my boyfriend for transportation. I really need to get this sorted out, but I dont know where to go and I dont have any knowledgable adults in my life to help me. Can anyone help?

Default Re: Social Security and Birth Certificate Have Different Last Name

What happened when you explained your complicated situation to somebody at the Social Security Administration?
    Quote Quoting I received a notice from Social Security stating my name and Social Security number do not match their records. What should I do?
    If you find out that these items do not match, this is what you need to do:
    1. If your Social Security card does not show your correct name or Social Security number, or if you have lost your card, contact your local Social Security Office.

2. Provide your employer with the correct information as shown on your Social Security card or your corrected card.
    It is critical that your name and Social Security number, as shown on your Social Security card, match your employer's payroll records and year-end Form W-2 (Wage and Tax Statement).

However, if your name and Social Security number, as shown on your Social Security card do match the information shown on your Form W-2, contact your local Social Security office or call 1-800-772-1213 (TTY number, 1-800-325-0778) to find out why our records do not match what was reported by your employer.

The information your employer received from Social Security does not imply that you intentionally gave incorrect information about your name or Social Security number. It is not a basis for your employer to change your job, lay you off, fire you or take other action against you. If you think that any action against you based on the information your employer received from Social Security is related to labor union activities or union organizing activities, you may contact the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB), an agency of the U.S. government.

If you think that any actions against you are related to your race, color, sex, religion or national origins, age or disability, you may call the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) toll-free at 1-800-669-4000, (TTY for the hearing impaired, 1-800-669-6820). Check your local directory for the telephone number of the nearest NLRB or EEOC offices in your area.

If you have questions or concerns about unfair practices by your employer that may be related to your national origin or citizenship status, you may call the Office of the Special Council for Immigration-Related Unfair Employment Practices toll free at 1-800-255-7688 or 1-800-237-2515 (TTY for the hearing impaired).

1. Sponsored Links