Default How To Establish Paternity After Several Years Have Passed

My question involves paternity law for the State of: Kentucky

I dated a girl several years ago, and she got pregnant. she told me that she cheated on me and that she was 100 percent positive that the child was not mine. to make a long story short, i believed her, and have recently come upon a picture of the child and am now convinced that the child is indeed mine. What rights do i have? Can i still be apart of this childs life? How does a person go about getting a test done if i have the rights to do so? Does a lawyer have to be involved or can it be done without one?

Default Re: Trying To Establish Paternity After Several Years Have Passed

How many years have passed? Does the child have a legal father?

9 years. im not sure about the sircumstances around the child. i know that she has since remarried. but i dont know how long...

Quote Quoting Jblfan
    View Post
    9 years. im not sure about the sircumstances around the child. i know that she has since remarried. but i dont know how long...
    You have the right to file a paternity action in court and request a DNA test.

If a father has already been legally established you will be able to find that out when she files her answer.

So if a father has been legally established? What does that mean? Are you implying that even if I'm the father, that I wouldn't be able to do anything about it? Or are you saying that this just means that a paternity test has already been done and the child has already been proven to be somebody elses child?

Quote Quoting Jblfan
    View Post
    So if a father has been legally established? What does that mean? Are you implying that even if I'm the father, that I wouldn't be able to do anything about it? Or are you saying that this just means that a paternity test has already been done and the child has already been proven to be somebody elses child?

It may be too late for you to do anything - by all means, petition the court to request a DNA test. That's the only way you're going to find out if you even have standing to establish paternity at this point.

1. Sponsored Links