Default Can a Hospital Refuse a Payment Plan

My question involves collection proceedings in the State of: NM

My wife's appendix ruptured a couple of months ago. Thankfully she had insurance which covered most of the bills, but it still left us with about $5000 to pay off ourselves. We began by sending them the $1500 we had in savings, and also continued to make as large of payments as we could to all 5 or so businesses involved.

The problem is that two of the medical companies are saying that they can't take our partial payments. We can't afford any more, or else we would just send it and be done with it. We do want to pay these debts off as quickly as we can. From the research I've done, it seems that the law allows companies to do this because there is some form of minimum payment agreement (such as the statements one would sign on a credit card application). However, since this was emergency medical care, I am positive that we never agreed to any kind of payment plan whether written or verbal.

So, my question is this: If we never agreed to a payment plan does the medical company have to take our payments or will this medical emergency end up on our credit reports anyway because they can refuse?

Also, it seems logical to me that if/when the reality of the situation is that the company will get their money in payments or not at all, then they would prefer getting paid to not. I just don't understand how or why a business would refuse a payment on a debt they are owed... How do I accurately and legally explain that we can not afford more than $X/month?

Any help or info would be very much appreciated.

Default Re: Can a Hospital Refuse a Payment Plan

So, my question is this: If we never agreed to a payment plan does the medical company have to take our payments or will this medical emergency end up on our credit reports anyway because they can refuse?
    The medical company is not obligated to agree to a payment plan, no. It would make sense for them to do so when confronted with someone willing to pay the bill, but unable to do so in one lump sum, but no law says they must allow you to pay in increments. They may send you to collections.

How do I accurately and legally explain that we can not afford more than $X/month?
    "We cannot afford more than $X per month."

The company isn't obligated to do anything with that information.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I play a researcher on the internet!
    Caution: I bite. WARNING: Do not send questions or complaints by PM. I'm likely to post them publicly and embarrass you half to death.
    I'm training for the MS Society's Bike to the Bay - and blogging about it!

Default Re: Can a Hospital Refuse a Payment Plan

Thanks for your response. We have had some luck in solving our problem.

1. Sponsored Links