My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: Michigan

My daughter owned a manufactured home for several years located in a Michigan mobile home park, which she paid lot rent, was always on time with the rent, and abided by all the rules of the park. This was on a month to month basis with no lease.

The living conditions were causing health problems for her sons, i.e. blood in their stool, breathing problems, etc.

When the home became unlivable (the floor falling out and the presence of black mold), she contacted the management and asked if they could help her move into a different unit. They did not offer any help so she found a house to purchase.

She moved her two sons into the house, paid all the lot rent due through the day she moved out, wrote a letter to the management and sent a copy to the park owners (in a different state), and gave the park the keys to the trailer.

Two weeks ago she received a summons to court stating that she would have to remove the trailer and continue paying lot rent until that was done.

She knew she would not be able to attend court because if she took the time from work to do so, she faced the chance of losing her job. So, she wrote a letter to the judge explaining the situation and sent a copy to the attorney for the trailer park.

The attorney responded saying "this is an action for possession of the lot. As the home still remains on the lot, site rent is still due an owing. My client is not required to accept the home; and is no way responsible for the condition and/or removal of your home. Therefore, my client will not withdraw the action so long as the home remains on the property, as it is the proper way of obtaining legal possession of the lot.

We have known people throughout the years that walked away from their mobile home and the park just turns around and sells the homes to others, or tears them down. We also know of people who were required to tear a home down, which cost up to $2,000. In these cases the park management must approve the person/contractor doing the demolition.

My daughter is a single mother raising two young boys and rarely receives any child support. She lives on an extremely tight budget, and probably would not make it without help from my mother and myself. We are also living on extremely tight budgets.

It's been a week since the court date, and she has not heard anything. Now, she is afraid they will garnish her wages.

Can you give us any advice of exactly what she is responsible for, and how she should proceed.