Unhappy Currently Being Charged with Felony and I Want to Join Military

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Florida

I've wanted to join the military for a couple years now, but really havent had the motivation to do so because school and my jobs have been sufficient. Although, I recently got wrapped up in a situation that has gotten me being tried for the following charges

Larceny Grand Theft felony
    Solicitation (planning?) felony
    Tampering with Evidence misdemeanor

I am going to go over this with my attorney, but wanted to hear some other peoples perspective on this as well. I have basically admitted to dropping somebody off and picking them up. They have stolen items, and placed them in my vehicle. I disposed of the stolen property after finding out what exactly happened. And they are charging me for planning the crime, committing the crime and disposing of the evidence. They have received everything that was stolen, and I went to the police when they started asking my family about the situation so they didn't have to go looking for me.

I am a student at a local college, with a GPA of 3.5 and currently dual majoring in Radiological sciences and working to get my Registered Nursing degree. I have a Florida Bright futures scholarship as well. And working part time to pay my bills. So its not like Im on a wrong track, i just got mixed up in the wrong situation.

My priors include one misdemeanor drug charge that was dismissed after PTI probation.

Finally my question is:

After the above things considered, a friend told me that if I ever wanted to join the military, that now would be the time to do it because it might give the court more of a reason to dismiss the charges. Is this true, and if it is, what is the likelihood of it actually happening?

Default Re: Currently Being Charged with Felony Want to Join Military

Not only will a grand larceny conviction stop you from entering the military, it may stop you from getting a nursing license.

Oh, and your scholarship is also in danger.

You need an excellent attorney.

Default Re: Currently Being Charged with Felony Want to Join Military

I have a good attorney, and am aware of the scholarship being in danger as well :-(

But, since I wanted to join the military; would being the process of joining the military deter the court in charging me on these convictions?

Default Re: Currently Being Charged with Felony and I Want to Join Military

I'm not sure if this is 100 percent relavent in your case but I don't think you can even join the military. My friend got charged with larceny and they rejected him when he tried to join a military program.

You are dreaming of a world that ended 40 years ago. The court will not tender leniency because you state you want to join the military. And, in any case, the military would not find you to be an acceptable recruit.

Quote Quoting Scott67
    View Post
    You are dreaming of a world that ended 40 years ago. The court will not tender leniency because you state you want to join the military. And, in any case, the military would not find you to be an acceptable recruit.
    Actually, I wouldn't be certain on that last part. These days, the military is pretty much willing to accept anyone with a pulse and a full set of limbs and are willing to compromise on the limbs. Give it another year or two of Iraq and Afghanistan and they'll compromise on the pulse too. A larceny conviction isn't quite a deal breaker anymore unless you're gay.

With a criminal history involving illegal drug use and a pending felony? Sorry, but the military's standards aren't as lax as you think.

Quote Quoting TheArgumentative
    View Post
    Actually, I wouldn't be certain on that last part. These days, the military is pretty much willing to accept anyone with a pulse and a full set of limbs and are willing to compromise on the limbs. Give it another year or two of Iraq and Afghanistan and they'll compromise on the pulse too. A larceny conviction isn't quite a deal breaker anymore unless you're gay.
    Your statement is totally false. I assume that you are stating your political belief relative to current military missions, but you do all readers of this forum a major disservice in stating something so far from the truth.

I figure if they'll recruit the crazy guy from my high school, they'll recruit anybody. So called "moral waivers" are increasingly common.

A conviction of any sort will require a waiver. I would agree that the days of a Judge saying - join the Marines and I'll dismiss the charges are long gone.

1. Sponsored Links