Default Online Store Applied Discount to Gift Cards

My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: California

Recently, a website was promoting the sale of its items by giving 10% off everything. I found out that the 10% also worked on gift cards. Their online system delivers the credit do your account automatically, so I used gift cards to buy more gift cards. Eventually I was able to accumulate to a lot of money. So I used the credit to purchase some items and it was shipped to me. Now the retailer is demanding the products shipped back to them or they’ll call the police. My question is did I do anything illegal?

The website does not have any policy or regulations. There is no mention of not allowing purchase of gift cards with gift cards. Any inputs?

Thanks!

Default Re: Online Store Applied Discount to Gift Cards

My gut reaction would be to say no. If you made purchases that they offered of their own free will, you don't become guilty of a crime if they later decide "oops we didn't mean to sell that."

Now, if a website offers so-called "fat finger" discounts where they accidentally type in a wrong price for the item and you order it at the discounted price, they're perfectly free to cancel the order when they find out what happened and tell you that they can't go through. But actually expecting you to ship back products that you bought from them is just tacky. In any case, you certainly can't be charged with theft for buying merchandise at the price the merchant offered or by using any discount schemes the merchant offered, even if they later decide they shouldn't have offered it at that price or offered those discount schemes. It's your stuff, you bought it, you get to keep it.

Of course, they're probably going to cancel the extra gift credit you have left over, which is their right

I would want to read the website's terms, the gift cards/certificates' terms, and to know the dollar amounts involved before trying to answer this.

The website does not have any policy or regulations.

Then you're fine. They can't expect you to return merchandise that you legitimately purchased from them simply because they decided after the fact that they shouldn't have sold it.

Quote Quoting modme
    View Post
    The website does not have any policy or regulations.
    I assure you it does... or the gift certificates do.

Look harder.

1. Sponsored Links