Default Credit Card Debt Summons

My question involves collection proceedings in the State of: FL

Due to this economy and health factors I have defaulted a number of Credit Card Debts. I have now received my first (of I'm sure many) "Summons" to appear. This one is a pretrial conference.

I understand that if I do not go, I can lose by default (summary judgement). If I do go - I will have to state the truth which is yes I owe the money and no I cannot pay. No ability to set up a schedule as no idea if/when I may earn money again.

Two Questions: One: If I go, I will lose, If I don't go, I will lose. Why do I spend the time and gas money, parking, etc to go to the courthouse to lose either way? Can I or will be found in contempt of court and be looking at a criminal record if I just don't go? The question really is - Do I bother?

Second Question: All my credit card debt is in My personal name. Any assets that I may or may not own is in the joint name of me and my wife? Can this type of judgement attach to a joint asset?

In retrospect, I wish I defaulted sooner instead of using up the last of the savings to pay as long as possible. If I had any cash - several of the companies have offered to settle for about 30%.

Default Re: Credit Card Debt Summons

If you don't go to court, the only thing that will happen is that they will get a default judgment against you.

If they get a judgment against you, they can seize all non-exempt assets that your state allows that are in your name only or are jt. assets that have your name on them. Since Fl. is not a community property state, they can't seize assets in your wife's name only.

Might be a good time to consider filing for bankruptcy. That will stop all proceedings..

I just made it past 10 years in August for my bankruptcy and I now have an 800+ credit score. It takes time, but you can and will recover if you work at it. I discharged $250,000.00+ just in Taxes Penalties and Interest against the IRS and about 50K in other debt. No way I could have dug my way out of that without bankruptcy!

Good luck my friend and keep us informed of your progress and results.

ITADMIN

Quote Quoting Betty3
    View Post
    If you don't go to court, the only thing that will happen is that they will get a default judgment against you.

If they get a judgment against you, they can seize all non-exempt assets that your state allows that are in your name only or are jt. assets that have your name on them. Since Fl. is not a community property state, they can't seize assets in your wife's name only.
    On this first one, I will probably go to court to see what its all about. But my next question centers upon above.

FL is not Comm prop but it is a Tenants By the Entirety which I though should protect my wife and I's joint assets from MY solely debts? Is that not a true thought!

Read online (so of course its true!!!! sic)

A TENANCY BY THE ENTIRETY allows spouses to own property together as a single legal entity. Under a tenancy by the entirety, creditors of an individual spouse may not attach and sell the interest of a debtor spouse: only creditors of the couple may attach and sell the interest in the property owned by tenancy by the entirety.

http://law.jrank.org/pages/10718/Ten...-Entirety.html

1. Sponsored Links