Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2010

    Default Getting Custody of an Ex-Spouse's Child

    My question involves a child custody case from the State of: Alabama

    I have a situation, and I was wondering if there was anything I could do or any advice you guys could give me..

    Okay, My ex's son was born 4 years ago. I am not this child's father, but I have raised this child. I was there when he was born and have been there ever since. His biological father has not ever been there, doesn't send child support, and has never made any physical contact with his son. He does still have rights over him though. He never signed the birth certificate either, so I'm not really sure if that is significant.

    His mother and I are not still together, but I am still in his life.. His mother is not a good mother, and I don't really see her fit. She is never home with him, and he probably sees her 5 hours a week; if that. She just hands him over to his grandmother, who is no better than she is. She parties all of the time, and would rather party than be with her son. I think she has psychological issues. She isn't happy unless she is mentally hurting someone else. She does not put her son above anyone else. And I am not saying these things because she is my ex, I do love her, but I honestly could not handle the way she was, and she was just wearing me down thin. I love him though, and even though he isn't related to me biologically, he is my son. I have raised him, and I was the one that was always there for him when she was out doing who knows what.

    Now my questions, Is there a way I can get custody of him without his biological father signing over rights?

    Any advice you can give would be great.. Thanks.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Somewhere near Canada

    Default Re: Sticky Situation

    The chances of you obtaining custody of a child who is not yours legally is virtually nil.

    Alabama is not a third-party custody state as a rule and when it does happen, it's by either a relative or a step-parent.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2010

    Default Re: Sticky Situation

    So there is no way it could be done? Even if the child knows me as his father?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Behind a Desk

    Default Re: Sticky Situation

    If you can convince mom to allow the child to live with you, you may be able to build a foundation for getting legal guardianship.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2009

    Default Re: Getting Custody of an Ex-Spouse's Child

    Also, if she is doing something illegally, I would call the child protective agencies on her.

    1. Sponsored Links

Similar Threads

  1. Child Custody After Spouse Married a Registered Child Sex Offender
    By capnspank in forum Child Custody, Support and Visitation
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-15-2010, 02:03 PM
  2. How to Get Full Custody - Former Spouse Allows No Access to Child
    By Dee Justice in forum Child Custody, Support and Visitation
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 06-20-2010, 11:15 AM
  3. Child Custody Whan a New Spouse is in the Military
    By ealexdixon in forum Child Custody, Support and Visitation
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-18-2010, 10:12 AM
  4. Custody and Visitation Issues: Possible Effect of Reconciliation With Current Spouse on Child Custody
    By MOTHERMAYI in forum Child Custody, Support and Visitation
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-02-2007, 04:56 PM
  5. Child Custody After Separation From An Alcoholic Spouse
    By jsm1041 in forum Child Custody, Support and Visitation
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-20-2007, 07:02 AM
Sponsored Links

Legal Help, Information and Resources