Default Items Missing when Roommate Moved Out

My question involves a roommate in the State of: Alabama

I am currently towards the end of a 6 month lease involving myself and 3 other roommates. We took this house knowing that the 4th roommate couldn't commit to 6 months, just 4 months. We had our landlord write into our lease that the 4th roommate would be leaving and out by Jan 1st and the 3 of of remaining would be responsible for the lease for the last 2 months.

This arrangement itself has been fine but the 4th roommate originally planned on moving out before Christmas when we'd all still be around. I realize its her right to be there until the end of the month but we had wanted to be there when she moved out. She wasn't the best roommate so we just wanted to make sure everything went smoothly.

But, she changed her mind and decided she didn't want to move before Christmas and was going to do it after Christmas while we were all out of town visiting our families, leaving none of us there. Now, I find I'm missing things from the house such as pots and pans. I figure I'm just out of luck if I can't prove she has them. I've asked her if she has certain items but she denies it. She had items in the kitchen too so I know she must have taken some of my things along with her own!

In addition, she has left a few things she didn't want such as an old bike at the house. We've asked her to come and deal with them. She says she will but she hasn't actually done anything yet. The 6 month period is up at the end of the month and the remaining 3 of us are also leaving. We don't want to be stuck with her stuff to deal with.

What's the best way to get the items I'm 99% sure she has and also deal with the things she left at the house?

Default Re: Items Missing when Roommate Moved Out

If you have evidence that she has the items, but won't return them, you can sue her in small claims court for their value. If their value justifies that effort.

How about instructing her that at the end of the lease term, any items left behind are going to be treated as abandoned and disposed of.

1. Sponsored Links