Default Witholding Security Deposit for Not Giving 30-Days Notice

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: New York

Dear Experts,
    I have just wrapped up a 1-year fixed term lease on a rental apt in Brooklyn, NY ending Jan. 31, 2010. I notified my landlord I was not renewing on Jan. 18, 2010 (12 days before moving out).

LL is refusing to return security deposit claiming I did not give enough notice.

In the lease, there is no mention of auto-renewal upon completion of initial terms. In a one page addendum, there is a provision that states tenant must give 30-days notice. But the addendum does not state whether it takes precedence over original lease.

While I do admit some responsibility for not notifying earlier, I feel LL is also partly to blame, since this was a one-yr lease w/ no auto-renewal. I feel he should have known our move-out date and should have approached to ask if we were renewing.

Is he right in withholding our security deposit?

Confused and back to eating P,B & J this month,
    Arthur

Default Re: Witholding Security Deposit for Not Giving 30-Days Notice

I feel he should have known our move-out date and should have approached to ask if we were renewing.
    It's your responsibility to both know what your lease says and abide by its terms. If your lease says you need to give 30 days notice prior to the end of the lease term to confirm that you're not renewing, then you need to give that notice timely.

That said, no, your landlord may not retain the security deposit simply because you didn't give enough notice. He may deduct for damages, but outside of that, must return the deposit.

See page 9 of this document.

You can sue him in small claims for the return of the deposit.

Default Re: Witholding Security Deposit for Not Giving 30-Days Notice

Seems like he is withholding security deposit as a remedy for breach of contract. That is illegal no?

Default Small Claims Suit Diminished by Insufficient Notice

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

Hi there,
    I am considering suing my LL for return of security deposit in Brooklyn, NY but my situation is not as black & white as I hoped. Here are the details of my case:

• 1-year fixed term lease specified an expiration date of Feb. 1 ,2010
    • Lease included an addendum that required tenant to give 30 days notice
    • Notice was given on Jan. 18, 2010
    • 3 certified written notices were sent, along with a mediation attempt by the NY Attorney General's office

How strong is my case given the addendum clause and insufficient notice? Also, is it appropriate to sue for the whole deposit amount or the amount prorated for insufficient notice (deposit less 18 days rent).

Thanks,
    Arthur

Default Re: Small Claims Suit Diminished by Insufficient Notice

Unpaid rent may be properly withheld from a security deposit. If you in fact owed 12 additional days of rent, that's a proper deduction.

1. Sponsored Links