Default Whether to Contest or Not to Contest a Speeding Ticket

My question involves a speeding ticket from the State of WA, Snohomish county.

I was pulled over heading South bound on I-5 in Everett. The officer pulled myself and the car in front of me over at the same time. (motorcycle cop, pointed at me to pull over) The officer said that he clocked me going 72mph in a 60mph zone, but would cite the ticket for only going 5 miles over the limit, so that my fine would be lower. Also, he asked if I had any other tickets. I told him I had deferred one 6 months earlier (for going straight, when there was a right turn only sign that I didn't see in a really confusing neighborhood where the roads were all diagonal). He suggested I try contesting, that there are lots of loop holes and that he didn't show up in court often.

So now I'm thinking i should contest since this ticket will mean that I'll have both on my record, but I'm nervous about the whole contesting process.

Also, I was looking at the ticket, and in the violation section it says RCW 46.61.400 Vehicle speed 65' In a 72 (the 72 is circled) then I can't read what the officer wrote where it says zone. SMD is checked then it has the lazer number and feet from which he calibrated my speed. The ticket doesn't make sense because it sounds like it says i was going 65 in a 72, which means I'd be under the limit, but 72 is not a normal limit.

Am I reading it wrong, did the officer fill the ticket out incorrectly, or is this some strange way of indicating he helped me out by only citing me for going 65 instead of 72 in a 60?

Is it sufficient to dismiss the infraction on account that the ticket is filled out incorrectly.

Should I contest, or just suck it up and have both tickets on my record?

I don't have much time to respond so help quickly. Thanks

Default Re: Whether to Contest or Not to Contest a Speeding Ticket

I expect the officer's note that you find confusing is a notice to the prosecutor (and a reminder to himself) that he clocked you at 72. I can't see the ticket from here, so I'm not in a position to interpret the note.

The officer has hinted that you should contest it and you may get a lucky break. Is that investment of time worth it to you, to possibly avoid the consequences of the tickets?

Default Re: Whether to Contest or Not to Contest a Speeding Ticket

contest contest contest!!!! a small judicial rule could be broken and whammo dismissed....

Contest it, get your discovery and let us know when you get the officer sworn affidavit!

1. Sponsored Links