Default No Proof Insurance Ticket but Provided Proof

My question involves a traffic citation from the state of: Michigan
    Hello,

just a quick overview, on 1/7/10 I was pulled over because my tags were expired on my vehicle. They were supposed to be renewed on 12/30/10 and I thought my husband had done it. When I realized it wasn't done which was the night of 1/6/10 the next day I planned on getting them renewed. But, I got pulled over on my way. Also I was having difficulty locating my proof of insurance. I do have insurance and always have had it. I was an insurance agent for 6 years before going back to school, my mother owns the insurance agency. I was just unorganized. The officer said you keep looking I will be right back. When he came back I provided him with the proof of insurance. He said ok thats great you won't have to worry about this one. Well I get the ticket and it says I am charged with no proof of insurance. So I go get my plates renewed immediately the same day, gather all the requested information and head to the court house to take care of this. I get there and give the ticket to the lady and she says oh, this ticket doesn't make sense and that boxes were checked all over and she couldn't help me. I would have to wait until the officer brought in his copy because this one didn't make sense. So there I was with all the documents and money to pay any fines being turned away. Keep in mind I like 45 minutes away from this court house. So I call about 5 days later and the phone system they have keeps telling me the lines are busy. I tried for an hour to get in contact with someone. I tried many other times as well. The officer also told me I wouldn't be in trouble for the insurance! I showed him the proof on the scene! So I wasn't really sure what was going on I didn't know if because they didn't have the ticket at the office maybe he didn't file it or whatever. Well I got busy and then received something in the mail stating that a default judgment was made. I had huge fines and big trouble. I received that only a couple days ago so today I went to the court house. I had all the documents and had to talk with the magistrate who treated me so horribly, called me a liar and negligent and made me cry. I have never had any violation in my life not even speeding. I was confused and scared. I had to go in front of her which is basically like a court room with her looking down on me like the scum of the earth. I have never been in a court room in my life! She told me what the officer said was untrue and I was lying. I could go find the officer if I wished to but she could care less. I was so confused about what was happening. Well anyway I guess now I have to do something tomorrow called a motion to set aside default judgment. I had all my documents with me, receipt from the Sec of State showing the 1/7 plate renewal and the insurance. But she would take the insurance because it was my renewal policy not the actual certificate. So I am getting the correct certificate from my mom. But so my fines are reduced to $65 for the plate, and $25 for the insurance when I provide the proof. Well I get home check the mail and find the State of Michigan has assigned me a driver responsibility fee of $200 that I will be required to pay for 2 years and it is due in 30 days. They filed the offense to my license. Even after I provided proof to the officer on the scene. I have no clue what to do or how to prepare myself for my meeting with the magistrate tomorrow. The magistrate was trying to tell me that I was still be fined for the insurance because I was unable to provide the proof at the time of the request. So basically that 3 minute time frame when the officer was at my window. Even though he said you keep looking I will be right back, and when he got back I gave it to him. He had the ticket already written up assuming I wouldn't provide the info and just gave it to me. So now even though tomorrow I will provide the proof then they will let the state of michigan know I had insurance but I could still be responsible for the $200 and the points to my license. I just need some advice so I know how to defend myself properly tomorrow. One thing to add, should the officer still cited me for the no proof even though I provided it? If, not then how would I get it reversed.

Default Re: No Proof Insurance Ticket but Provided Proof

They abstracted the default judgment, because you defaulted. If the conviction is set aside, the correction will be abstracted to the Secretary of State and, if the fee is premised upon the conviction, you can confirm with them that you no longer owe the driver responsibility fee.

1. Sponsored Links